Chapter 18

((EDITED 5/22/2016. About 600 words longer now. I changed a bit of Skylar's dialogue and some minor narrative in this chapter to make Skylar's point of view a bit more relatable, as I felt like this chapter was more revealing of Gabriel's emotions than hers, and since this book is from her POV, well...anyway, enjoy))

((The song is kind of...different, but I think it's beautiful. The lyrics go really well with the story, too. Feel free to listen to it at any point in the chapter but I recommend listening to it at the end!

Sorry for any grammar/ spelling errors; again, I try to edit))

---

---

The trip back to the house was painfully quiet but mercifully short. I was itching to get out of here, to get back home. Being near Gabriel was preventing me from thinking straight, because every time I was around him, I couldn't prevent the natural pull from drawing me to him like a moth to a flame. If I was going to make a decision, I had to allow my mind a moment of perfect clarity. With my Mate around that would never happen.

As soon as we re-entered the sitting room, Raziel made his way over to the box that he had brought out earlier. "There are a few things I need to give you before you leave. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I have all of them here. If they aren't in this box, I'll have to make a trip to go fetch them."

I must have looked puzzled, because he continued to explain. "Over the many years I've walked among humans, I've collected hundreds of trinkets, some more valuable than others. Some of them are quite sought after. That being said, it wouldn't be wise to keep them all in one place." He was digging through the box now, pulling out various artifacts as he spoke. "I told you two before, vampires are demonic creatures. Because of that, they can be warded off by a Holy object, something that has been blessed."

Mouth twisting in contemplation, Raziel pulled something out of the box: a delicate necklace, adorned with a wooden cross. I blinked at it, recognizing the symbolic meaning of the cross itself. I'd always thought that most of the myths about vampires were false, including the one where they shied away from crosses, but perhaps I was wrong. Raziel approached me and held out the necklace. I took it lightly in a hand with some precaution; I had no familiarity with human religion, so the cross made me slightly nervous.

"Unfortunately, this is the only thing I have here that can really help you. It has never been worn before, so it's still quite potent. Put it on," he jerked his head, indicating I do so.

Almost hesitantly, I pulled it over my head. The wooden cross was cool against my bare skin. "This is similar to something humans call a rosary, although it is slightly different. It is very old. Wearing it constantly is the best way to utilize its protection."

I nodded. What did Raziel mean by 'potent'? I voiced this question out loud.

"A blessed object's power won't last forever. As soon as it is put in use, as in somebody puts it on, its protection is in place but the power will slowly drain from the object the longer it is worn. This necklace should protect you for a couple of weeks, Skylar. With it on, the vampires can't touch you, but as it gets weaker, Cain will likely find a way to get past it." I glanced down at it. Was I just imagining it, or had the cross warmed slightly since it had touched my skin? The concept of it all was a bit over my head, but after everything I had learned today, I was beginning to just accept what I was told.

"I have other objects that can help protect your packs, at least for a time, but it will take me a few days to fetch them. They're at one of my more well-guarded places of storage." I distantly wondered just how many artifacts he had. How long had Raziel been on Earth, anyways?