Chapter 10

((EDITED 5/17/2016. Ok, so this chapter is now 700 words longer with the edit... whoops! Didn't realize I was adding that much!))

(please read A/N at the end, it has important info!)

-------

The cool breeze whispered across my bare skin, making me shiver slightly.

The moon was high in the sky and I could feel my Wolf whining inside of me. She was itching to be let out. Goosebumps covered my body, although that might have been due more to my nervousness than the crisp air. I was currently behind the large, twisted trunk of a tree, completely naked but outside of Gabriel's line of sight as I prepared to Shift. Part of me had the urge to step outside of the shelter of the trees, just to see his reaction, but I quelled the thought. I wasn't ready for that sort of intimacy yet. I barely knew Gabriel and I still wasn't sure exactly how I felt.

My Wolf, however, was making her intentions clear. We knew that our Mate was standing not too far from us and that he was completely unclothed as well. My body itched to be near him, bare flesh pressed against bare flesh. The thought made me shiver again, and not from the cold this time.

Behave yourself, I instructed my Wolf. She would be much more prominent in my consciousness as soon as I Shifted, and her instincts would be hard to resist, although I could still reign her in with enough willpower.

She whined slightly, disagreeing with me but partially understanding where I stood.

I'm not ready for that yet. You know that. I continued softly. Although her animalistic urges would be hard for her to ignore, we were bound together. She could feel what I was feeling. I knew she'd take that into account and not act too rashly.

I felt a slight sense of begrudging agreement emanate from her. I'd have to keep an eye on her.

I picked up the large bag that held my clothes and necessities, loosening the straps as much as I could and putting it on my back. Gabriel had been prepared to carry it, but I hadn't been sure that the straps could even loosen up enough for the bag to fit on his back when he was in Wolf form. As an Alpha, he would be much bigger than me. Admittedly, I had also been tired of him bossing me around all evening and wanted to do something for myself, so I had insisted (and then grabbed the bag from where he had set it on the ground before he could respond).

The bag hung off of my small form but would fit tightly once I had Shifted. I knew it would look comical, a wolf wearing a large bag on its back, but it was the most convenient way.

Closing my eyes I willed the Shift onwards. Instantly my shoulders hunched and I fell forward, my bones realigning themselves as I transformed into a different being entirely. A Wolf's first shift was painful, but now the sensation didn't hurt in the slightest. Heat rushed from my core outwards and I felt a tickling sensation as claws exploded from my limbs and fur sprouted from my skin. As my large paws hit the ground, I felt my canines elongate and a rush of overpowering smells as my Wolf's senses became predominant.

I shook off the last vestiges of the Shifting sensation, fighting the urge to yip in excitement. I desperately needed a run, and my Wolf was overjoyed that we would be running with our Mate. I was a bit more preoccupied about the idea but I had no choice in the matter. I could only hope our Wolves would control themselves so we didn't find ourselves in an awkward situation back in human form.

I padded out from behind the twisted tree, my silver fur glowing softly in the moonlight. I was above average size for a female but I had no doubt that Gabriel would still tower over me. My Wolf's eyes, the same shade of blue as my own, roved the forest as we searched for our Mate. It didn't take long for him to emerge from the thick foliage.