Chapter 22

((Dedicated to ItsOnlyGabriella for fixing my cover for me! Looks great!

I’ve had so many wonderful people make covers for me, thank you! I will be posting them as the chapters go on. This chapter, though, I needed to post a pic of Eva. You’ll see why.

I feel like the song goes well with Skylar's general perception of everything in this chapter. Listen to it if you want to. I'll probably be posting a playlist sometime soon.

I’m tired. Again. So sorry for any mistakes. I actually found a wonderful editor so hopefully I will be completely mistake-free on future chapters! ))

---

---

The sense of power radiating off of my Mate was astounding. I couldn’t help but notice the intense admiration and pride emanating from my Wolf, who was excited that Gabriel was going to be my new Alpha. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my packmates lowering their heads out of respect for their new leader; I even felt my own Wolf bowing to his presence, which was strange, thinking about my Mate like that. However, since we hadn’t completed the bond, I supposed he was still my superior.

I copied the actions of my fellow pack members, lowering my head in respect. It felt incredibly strange. I could sense Gabriel’s eyes boring holes into me as he observed my behavior, but what else was I supposed to do? My Wolf was confused, torn between admiration and submission. I had never heard of a she-wolf being in my position before.

I relaxed slightly as Gabriel turned away, focusing his attention on Eli. The two began to converse quietly and I realized just how much work my Mate had ahead of him. If the Black Mountains Pack was going to absorb us, how exactly would we go about it? The two territories were so spread out that it would be difficult for Gabriel to go back and forth. I knew there would be a lot of logistics involved.

I barely noticed what was happening as Gabriel strode over to my packmates, who looked frightened and intimidated by him. With a barking order, Gabriel instructed them to take Alpha Brett’s body back to our village.

“Brief your pack on what happened. I expect the rest of your village to be awaiting my arrival. I’ll be there to talk to them later tonight,” Gabriel said coolly. There was no need to put the Command in his tone; his presence was intimidating enough that my fellow pack members instantly obeyed. One of them Shifted while the others placed Brett’s drooping body on the giant wolf’s back. I shifted position uncomfortably. Was I supposed to follow them? Was Gabriel going back with us? The thought made my heart flutter.

“Skylar, I need to talk with you a moment,” the husky baritone interrupted my train of thought and my eyes shifted to Gabriel. He indicated the fringe of the forest with a jerk of his head and strode off, me nervously following him.

It would be the first time we were alone together since I left him a few days ago. I scratched my arm absentmindedly as I followed him into the shade. Back in human form, the irritation and burning heat lingering under the surface of my skin were returning. I fervently hoped I wasn’t getting sick. The diseases affecting werewolves were few, but very powerful.

Gabriel stopped just inside the shelter of the trees, the patchy, late-afternoon sun dappling the forest floor with golden specks of light. Darkness was a couple hours away at most.

I was all too aware of the fact that Gabriel was shirtless, putting his sculptured muscles on open display for everyone to see. My Wolf was very appreciative of his form and I had to look away before I started blushing.