Chapter 39 - Is it too late to get my divorce property?

When they finally reached Summer Diner, the firemen had already arrived and finished putting out the fire.

Ashley scrambled out of the car and ran to the spot where the diner was supposed to be. The sight of it had her legs weaken and would have fallen to the ground if Sean did not catch her in time.

"It's gone," she said in horror as she stared at the badly burned building, with the other half completely burned down. It was completely unrecognized if not for their signboard and the front entrance was still alright. Kyle was right; the fire was bad. So bad that it would be pretty hard to rebuild again if they did not demolish the entire building first.

"Everyone! Stand back! The building is going to collapse!" A fireman yelled and ushered everyone to stand back.

"Collapse? It can't collapse!" Ashley tried to run towards the burned restaurant, but Sean held her back. "Let me go!"

"Calm down, Ashley! You will get injured!"

Sean's words woke her up a bit. "It can't collapse, right?" She tugged on his sleeve, willing him to tell her that everything will be alright.

"I won't lie to you, Ashley. Hate me, but I won't lie to you." It was more painful to hear Ashley's low sobs than the wounds he got from fighting Gio.

"It's collapsing!" Someone yelled and to her horror, she saw the burned building sinking in slow motion. Ashes flew all over the place and she could feel them landing all over her skin.

The smell of burning assaulted her nose and she started crying. This place was where her father's hard work to save his money had dumped on to realize his dreams. She and Ashton had spent all their time from childhood being here, treating it as their second home. It was filled with so many bittersweet memories, a place where everyone was laughing with joy when they tasted her father and then later, Ashton's cooking.

Just because of her, Samuel Donovan and Gio Aiolos would target Summer Diner and destroy it.

"It's okay, baby girl. It's okay," Mr. Summer's voice broke into her fog of despair and she realized her father had approached her sometime and was hugging her tightly, petting her head as if was still a little girl.

With her crying this hard, she does resemble a little girl.

"I'm sorry daddy. It's all my fault, my fault."

"No, girl. It's never your fault. Never blame yourself. I can always rebuild the restaurant."

"I will help as much as I can," Sean offered, caressing her wet cheeks as he stood aside from the father and daughter's embrace. "I know you will hate it if I offer you money-"

"No," She cut him off and wiped the tears from her face as she tried to control her hiccups. "I don't hate you for offering me money. It's myself that I hated. I hated myself for letting my pride stop me from accepting your help. This time... please, I need your help to rebuild dad's restaurant."

This time, she would not let her own problems bring trouble to her family anymore.

Sean's expression was full of tenderness. "I will help you. Ask me anything and I will do it."

"Ashley." Mr. Summer squeezed his daughter's hand affectionately. "It's no longer my restaurant. It's our restaurant that belongs to our family. Remember that."

This time the tears that flowed from her eyes were happy ones. "I will."

It was not only Samuel Donovan that had wide connections. Sean Donovan does not lose against his father with his resourceful friends. His own wealth was also not something to be scoffed at.