Chapter 3 - Reluctant help

Chapter 3 – Reluctant help

Ashley dragged Evan out of the room and questioned in a sharp tone, "Why didn't you tell me about his loss of memories earlier?"

"What's the difference between telling you earlier and not?"

"I could have prepared myself!"

"Like what?" Evan sighed. "I won't have asked you to come here if it's not urgent. And speaking about his injury will be best told to you face to face than a phone call. "

"Why not just let him stay here until one of his relatives arrives?" Ashley asked, sounded desperate. She wished the doctor had told her about Sean's condition through the phone call!

"As you know, I couldn't contact his parents and his wife. There aren't any relatives that are nearby or free to take care of him. And it is good for him if he recovers in his own home."

"Did you drop by his house to see if there's anyone in there?"

Evan stared at Ashley as if she had just said something funny. "You seem rather desperate to stay far away from Sean."

"We are divorced, doctor. We parted on bad terms," Ashley answered curtly.

"... Apologies. Actually, there is another reason why I ask you to come here."

"What reason?" Ashley asked warily.

Evan sighed, looking troubled. "I want you to help him recover his memories."

"Isn't that supposed to be your job?" Ashley scowled at the doctor.

"All I know is that he had lost four years of his memories, with the possibility that he himself had unconsciously suppressed his own memories."

"Suppress it? Didn't you say his memory is gone because of head injury?"

Evan shook his head in negative. "The check-ups found that his head injury isn't serious enough to trigger memory loss."

"So you think he doesn't want to remember certain things so he... unconsciously suppresses his memories?"

"Correct. I need you to find out what he wanted to suppress and to help him to recover his memory if possible."

Ashley desperately wanted to groan out loud. "Can't you ask a counselor to do it? They are certified to do! I'm just a restaurant manager!"

"Counsellors would not be able to help much and they advise to let the patient recover their memories naturally to avoid harming their delicate mind. It would be better if it's a person that he's familiar with to help him with his recovery."

Ashley shot him a glare. "I am not that familiar with him."

Evan stared at Ashley with a contemplative gaze. "Truthfully, Sean had asked for you as soon as he is awake. That's why I insist you on coming over."

Ashley's heart jumped. "T-That's impossible."

"It's not impossible. It's nothing wrong with a husband that wants his wife to be with him."

"I'm no longer his wife."

"Correction, you are his wife four years ago. He said the last thing he could remember is him, with you, are going for your honeymoon. He's looking forward to it," Evan revealed.

"Does he? How surprising," Ashley said bitterly. She remembered that Sean had acted as an enthusiastic husband in spending romantic time with his newlywed wife during their honeymoon trip, but it only lasted until they had to return to their daily life.