『20』| 𝚃𝙷𝙴 𝚁𝙴𝙲𝙺𝙾𝙽𝙸𝙽𝙶

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧
THE HEIST
*:・゚✧*:・゚✧
CHAPTER
TWENTY
*:・゚✧*:・゚✧
THE
RECKONING
*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

|____________________________|

[[ VERA. ]]

The cold glass of water on the folded table in front of me fogged up hazily as dots of water had formed slowly, trickling into one drop that reached the table's surface. I sat up, reaching for it as I took a few generous sips before I set it back down. Wiping my dampened hand against my green mini skirt, I crossed my legs as my eyes had then focused on the man behind it all, the man who wished to end me without a single clue as to who I was behind a lie. A hostage seeking refuge in all exteriority, though a robber adrift in reality. Detective James Booker was the man who I had encountered once in the center of a ploy; now another was bound to unfold here in hopes that solely he'd be following a lead that'd be a dead end. It's been a few hours now, and I hadn't heard from Max through the secret earpiece tucked underneath my hair. For those few hours, I hadn't spoken a single word. In fact, all I said was that I needed time, and was granted it without a doubt.

Though as the detective sat before me, tapping his shiny black shoes on the floor impatiently, I knew I had to say something sooner or later.

"It felt like a nightmare." I finally said something, as he nodded. "Felt weirdly, post-apocalyptic, being stranded yet under a roof of comfort knowing that I was still alive, breathing."

"Can you tell us your story of what had happened from the beginning and throughout being trapped inside that bank?" He clicked his pen, flipping open a notepad.

"Well, it all happened so fast." I replied bluntly, though I kept a steady voice.

I gasped softly, when unexpectedly, I heard another voice through the earpiece, holding back a smile.

"Vera? I'm right here, and I hear you clearly from the other end too." Max said.

"Um." I hummed in thought, feeling my mind running thoughts from every place all at once in that very moment.

"Focus, alright?" He chuckled. "Answer to everything he has to ask you, and say um whenever you need some help."

"Ummm..." My voice trailed as the detective looked at me in confusion.

"Just repeat what you last said, fuck." He had tried to hold back laughter.

"It really did just happen so, so fast." I had slowed my words, shaking my head as I had looked down so he wouldn't see the smile that lingered. "I mean, I remembered sleeping a lot. Like, a lot. I'm not sure what happened between that."

"Focus, Shelby." The detective sternly said.

Max had burst into laughter again on the other end of the line, realizing that I totally might've came up with that alias spontaneously.

"Okay." I sighed, clearing my throat loudly. "Sorry, I think there's a hair in my throat." I apologized, shaking my head as I reached for the glass of water, taking big gulps until I had finished the glass.

The cops and the detective watched as I had finished the glass of the water. "Ahh." I exhaled. "That was refreshing."

"Did you need some more?" Mr. Booker asked as I nodded, motioning at the empty glass.

"Please. I'm parched." I encouraged, pulling a small smile.

"It's going to be a long interrogation." I heard the detective say quietly to an officer as he had brought the pitcher over from across the room to where I sat, pouring more cold water into the emptied glass.