Chapter 103

Thank you for your support and reading! :) 

 Chapter 103

The small dwarven settlement inside a keep at the edge of the frontier;

"What are we going to do?" Rina asked me. I can feel the fear in her voice. She keeps forgetting we've been through this sort of thing before. I feel confident we can get through it again.

"We'll be OK," I said.

"But those guys...whatever those things are... were looking for you and us right?" she said with a horror filled and scaredy-cat filled tone of voice.

"Eh? How'd you know?" I asked.

"Well you guys kind of said too much and I put two and two together while sneaking around you," Rina said slowly.

Deinan near us frowned too. But she looked at me and shrugged, "Sorry boss. I didn't mean for the second mistress to discover recent activities." I noticed her verbal and physical demeanor seem to differ from each other.

"Eh?! She's not my second mistress!" I protested.

"Yes I am," and "No she's not," came at the same time from Rina, Asakura, and I together.

"Whatever. Who am I to judge love? Love is beautiful," Deinan shrugged.

"I am too, second mistress," Rina boldly proclaimed, before I could cover her mouth with my hand.

"Sorry boss, I apologize for my lack of discretion," Deinan repeated. Her facial expression seemed amused.

"Be quiet, this isn't the time for this," I protested.

Does that mean she's not really that sorry or she is? Her expressions didn't agree? She is probably afraid of getting bad marks on whatever employment system the dwarves have with each other.

Asakura stays close to me. She sniffed the air, "something's...not right." She looks edgy.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

Now that the attack is over, there shouldn't be anything else going on. The dwarves are trying to put out the fire.

"Well there is a fire..." Rina states the obvious.

"Not the fire," Asakura said. Her nose is scrunched up. She seemed to be looking at the wall. But it makes me wonder why she's doing that. "Something else..."

But just then another alarm goes off. It's the type of alarm set off by the soldiers on the ramparts, dwarves bearing huge horns that they are blaring from the top with a deep baritone echo. They seem to look to be made out of some kind of huge longhorn mountain sheep, and as such they can carry the sound and tone very far because of their long length. We can see them waving excitedly for other support troops.

"See proof, there is a fire in progress," Rina said again.

"Looks like the goblins have come back to attack the walls. That's the signal we use for orcs and goblins nearby," Deinan said. Of course she couldn't see and we couldn't either as the walls were too high, but she was watching the signaling system the dwarves used at the top of their watch towers and knew how to interpret the symbols a banner carrier was using that involved a combination of different hand held flags of various colors, numbers, and an order system.