40.

I look up at Omar as he opens his arm. An invitation for a hug. We were in the parking lot, getting ready to leave.

I walk towards him and he slowly cradles me in his arm. His arms go rigid for a moment and I'm whisked a step away from him.

"I'm still here you know?" I here my father voice from behind us. Red blooms over Omar's face.

"It's halal uncle," he says as he hides his face.

"It's abba now," my father says, closer now.

"Yes uncle ji. Um, I mean yes abba," he clears his throat.

It's all I can do to not just out laughing. I turn around and hug my dad. "I'll miss you abbu."

"I'll see you tomorrow In'Sha'Allah," he says as he rubs my back. I nod into his chest. From the background I here Ahmed go up to Omar.

"I've looked over her for the past 20 years. The job's all yours now," he says this in a whisper, so I can't hear.

Should have been quieter.

"I do everything I can to make sure she's safe," I hear Omar say.

After saying goodbye to everyone me and Omar get into the car and he starts driving to our apartment.

He starts speeding right when we get on the highway.

"Omar, stop that," I say. "What if a police is here somewhere."

Instead of responding, he smiles and his dimples show. Since when did he have dimples?

"What?" I ask tentatively.

"I love it when you say my name," he smirks.

A slight blush creeps across my neck. "I mean I do have a pretty nice voice," I respond.

"Honestly, it's amazing," I had expected him to say something sarcastic. Wait was that sarcastic?

He had slowed down the car, but not a significant amount.

I sigh.

I didn't know what to expect for the start of our marriage but I knew that we were going to try our best.