Chapter 9

"Take one more step in my direction and I swear I will pierce you with my sword," Ren Tian warned, his hand going straight for the grip of his weapon, as in order to make a point.

Wei Wuxian scowled, "What's with you all and pushing your swords through me?" He asked with a grimace on his face.

"Scram," He grumbled under his breath, trying to close the door in front of him, but Wei Wuxian was a little faster and blocked it with his foot. "I swear you are asking for a solid beating, Master Wei."

"Yeah yeah, you can try to beat me all you want later on, but now we need to have a word," he slipped under his arm and entered the room. "Besides, Lan Zhan is going to protect me anyways," he stated as a matter of fact.

"It's a miracle that he hadn't followed you here like a shadow that he is. If I didn't know better I would've said that he is glued to you."

Wei Wuxian chuckled humorlessly. "Contrary to the general opinion we are not together all the time, you know?"

"As if I cared," he mumbled.

An incredible awkwardness hung in the air. Ren Tian had never been comfortable with the man, he really couldn't comprehend what it was that Uncle Lan Zhan saw in him that made him fall in love.

How can you love someone who didn't even think of him as a friend, but someone who was against him, someone who condemned his actions? How can one be so devoted to someone that even betraying your own sect and everything you have believed in up to this point loses its importance?

Wei Wuxian looked around the room. He's been there only once, a couple months before, but he was still able to notice the subtle changes that occured to its interior design. There were fewer books on the bookshelves, the pale blue curtains were exchanged with the lilac ones, and the then white bed sheets were now of a dark purple color.

Behind a small desk, in the place of the family portrait of Jiang Cheng, Lan Xichen, Ren Tian, and Jin Ling was a painting of the Yunmeng River. His nephew's xiao and its stand were also gone from the room.

"Say what you want and leave."

Although there wasn't any bond between them, Wei Wuxian felt extremely depressed at seeing how this whole situation had affected Ren Tian. A young man stuck between his parents. He must be very confused in his own feelings. Just like Jiang Cheng during their childhood.

He pulled the wine bottle in front of him and forced a wide smile on his face.

"I thought that maybe we could have some wine together and talk. You know, like an uncle with his nephew."

Ren Tian raised his eyebrows, a shadow of disgust running through his face.

"Listen, Master Wei. Firstly, I don't drink alcohol, and secondly, you are not my uncle. You might have been during a short period of my childhood, but you resigned from that position on your own accord. I won't accept you back, just because you want me to. It doesn't work that way. Not everyone has to forgive you for your wrongdoings, you know?" He said in a monotone voice. He was really tired of everything nowadays.

Wei Wuxian's hand dropped, and he visibly tensed. "I know," he whispered.

"Do you?" A-Tian inquired. "Do you really understand? Do you realize how much harm you've caused to those around you? I'm still baffled as to how they could forgive you so quickly "In frustration, he ran his fingers through his hair. "In some stupid act of nobless oblige, you abandoned your family for a group of strangers. What? You've thought that life had been unfair to them? And was it fair for people who lost their lives in that war? Everyone has lost someone dear to them back then. But normal people focus on protecting what they have left, not destroying it."

"It wasn't like that," Wei Wuxian tried to defend himself, but Ren Tian interjected and didn't let him finish.

"It was You are just too dense to see it, and for some freaking reason no one has said it straight to your face. Poor Wei Wuxian, the world has been so mean to you."

The young man had a hard time recognizing himself. Grandpa Qiren had taught him to be a righteous young man and not to let others easily get on his nerves by maintaining his composure, therefore he had never spoken to someone in such a manner. And now, for no apparent reason, he was ranting at the man in front of him. He lowered his head as he neared the door and opened it wide. He didn't want to look at the man, he was too emotionally unstable at that moment.

"Leave. Also, only approach me if it is absolutely required. Otherwise, you can use Hanguang-Jun to convey any message."

Wei Wuxian sighed, his shoulders slumping in defeat. "All right, I won't bother you again," He said and walked out of the room. Ren Tian slammed the door shut, groaning in frustration.

Wei Wuxian pressed his lips together and bit the inside of his cheek. He had no idea what to think or feel. Ren Tian wasn't completely wrong, but he wasn't entirely correct either. He just hoped to put the past behind and live on since he has been given the chance to do so.

He came to A-Tian to talk and not to argue, that's why he left without even trying to defend himself. He just wanted to ask the young man how he was holding on, but it looks like the bonding will take a lot more time than he might have primarily expected.