Chapter 1: Before the Fall

|| This work is not suitable for younger aged readers. This work will contain scenes of violence and possible sexual content (mostly from Scanlan...). You have been warned ||

|| Additionally, this work will contain spoilers for Season 1 of "The Legend of Vox Machina" and the Briarwood Arc of "Critical Role: Campaign 1 - Vox Machina" - The story will try to follow the main events as closely as possible ||

|| At this point in time, the Reader's class is unknown. Their race is Human ||

~~~~

The sun was just barely touching the horizon, beginning its descent into slumber until the coming dawn. The skies were alight with oranges fading to shades of violet. Under the green boughs of an overhanging oak, (Y/n) picked at the grasses, bored out of her mind. He was late. And a part of her couldn't wait to bug him for it. In fact, it made her smile just a bit. Farmers tending to their fields at the bottom of the hill were returning from their days labour, carts full of wheat and other grown foods.

He promised he would show up today. How long until-

"(Y/n!)"

(Y/n) turned, her smile widening as she spotted the tall, lengthy boy running up the hillside. His satchel heavy with books clunked awkwardly at his side, and an ink blotch stained his blue shirt. When he got to the top, he took a moment, his hands on his knees as he panted. (Y/n) laughed, only turning slightly to greet him.

"You're late, Percival De Rolo. I'm afraid this will stain your perfect track record!"

Percy looked up, a breathless laugh escaping him as he fixed his glasses, walking over and carefully sitting down beside his friend. "By the Dawnfather, anything but my track record! I'll never forgive myself! My life is over! The end of the De Rolos!"

The two teenagers laughed in unison, (Y/n) nudging the heir of Whitestone without care. Percy's parents knew (Y/n)'s well, as they aided in securing trade routes with neighbouring kingdoms, so the two teens were no strangers to each other. (Y/n)'s parents had brought her to this tree and hillside when she was younger, and Percy and his own siblings would join them when they were allowed. With (Y/n) and Percy becoming good friends, it made sense that the hillside overlooking the Parchwood Timberland forests became their meeting spot. Out here, under the setting sun and without the city guards and royal families, the statuses of each disappeared, and two friends could relax.

"So, want to explain that?" (Y/n) pointed to the black blotch on Percy's shirt. Up close, the edges looked smeared, as if he had tried in vain to wipe it off. Percy sighed, pursing his lips in a slight pout.

"My darling sister, who else?" He sighed, shaking his head as (Y/n) gave a soft laugh. "Another one of Professor Anders lessons where she decided to annoy me..."

Percy's silence that followed made (Y/n) curious. She tilted her head, trying to catch the look in his eye as he stared ahead, watching the sun fall. He was often to eager to share what he learned from his professor...Time to prod and poke.

"What was it about this time? Oh, lemme guess. Some...nerd stuff you knew right away, being the smarty pants you are?"

Percy snorted, chuckling and shaking his head. "Darn, you are so close! Residium, actually. But..." Percy sighed, looking away again. "Professor Anders was...talking to my parents about funding something. My parents didn't agree with it and he just...snapped."

"Snapped?"

"Nothing horrible...just...what he said won't leave my head. 'Pray you never wake to find reality knocking at your door'..."