Chapter 10: Rise - Pt. 2

(Y/n)'s legs were burning from all the running. She looked ahead, seeing another group running towards them. Her heart seized for a moment before realizing it was Cassandra and a handful of other rebels. For the moment, the Sun Tree was clear of Undead. Everyone took count of each other, taking a second along the roots of the Tree. There were barely enough rebels here to even call this a rebellion, their spirits more destroyed than their numbers.

(Y/n) felt her hand grow empty, Percy's hand slipping from her grasp as he walked further up the Sun Tree's roots. His eyes were downcast, but she could see the defeat in his gaze as he looked to the rebels, to his own team members. Cassandra had leaned against the tree, her bloodied rapier at her side. (Y/n) sighed heavily. She hadn't taken note of her own being for a while. She was tired, completely and utterly tired. Old wounds felt like new again, aching against her skin. A reminder of futile attempts.

"Archie..." Percy spoke, facing his sister. "He didn't make it." (Y/n) walked closer to his side. He couldn't be left alone, she was afraid to. After losing Archibald...

"We heard..." Cass replied, closing her eyes for a moment for her fallen ally. "Now it's your turn to lead them."

"It can't be me, Cassandra." Percy shook his head, looking away from her gaze. "I'm not a leader. I ran."

"But you're here now," Cassandra insisted, putting a hand on his shoulder." Yours wasn't the only life shattered that day. We're all here. The time is now. No one else can do this."

Percy gave another sigh through his nose, his eyes shut for a few moments. The pressure on him was astounding, the burden and responsibility pressing against him... What if he failed? What if he failed everyone?

(Y/n) clenched her fists, looking up to him as Percy slowly opened his eyes, looking to her. His eyes said it all. It was the same look he gave her on the rooftop earlier before. He was asking for her. Looking to her for answers. (Y/n) straightened, walking closer to him.

"They need you, Percy," (Y/n) spoke gently, looking into his eyes. "They all do. What happened back then doesn't matter now. What matters is what we do here."

Percy was quiet for a few moments, before he took a deep breath. He stepped forward, gently taking his hand out to you.

"Will...Will you stay by my side through this?"

(Y/n) felt her heart swell in her chest, looking up at him. Percy, the one she had held onto for all these years, even when hope was lost. A man she adored, asking for her to stand with him. (Y/n) smiled, taking his hand without a second thought.

"I made a promise to, remember?"

Percy smiled down at her, squeezing her hand before facing the rest of the rebellion, raising his voice.

"I am Lord Percival Fredrickstein von Musel Klossowski de Rolo III!"

The rebels turned their heads, their attention on the once-lost de Rolo son.

"On the day the Briarwoods took Whitestone, I watched my family die. Despite my desire for vengeance, I fled... And fear kept me from my home."

(Y/n) gently clasped onto his hand as he spoke, staying close beside him. Percy turned his head slightly, giving you a slight smile before returning to speak.

"We have all lost. But Archie never feared, never wavered. He willingly gave his life for all of us. For Whitestone. His sacrifice, your sacrifice and the sacrifice of my family shall not be in vain."

Percy and (Y/n) walked forth, standing before the roots of the Sun Tree and the remaining resistance. Percy took on a sword, ripping it from the body of a limp Undead. He raised in the air, his stance undeterred.