Chapter 6: Buried Memories

|| Warning for mentions of abuse and torture during the 2nd Flashback Paragraph. Ends at the beginning of the 3rd Flashback Paragraph ||

~~~~

It took several minutes of convincing, arguing, and mild questioning, but Percy was eventually able to prove that (Y/n) had returned to her previous self to the rest of Vox Machina. It had been a blur for the young rogue. Her memories were still muddled, lost in some dark mist in her own mind. But the one clear thing was that Percy had come home, and she was more than happy to see him again.

It was so strange, seeing him grown. The last she remembered seeing him was running away in the snow, a barely-adult man from a once powerful royal family running for his life. Now even how he stood was different. Brimming with a confidence that (Y/n) had seen before when it came to his knowledge of the world, but this kind... This confidence of facing peril after peril, that she wasn't expecting. Percy had filled (Y/n) in on everything that occurred since he left Whitestone, from the creation of his weapon, to meeting Vox Machina, to becoming defenders of the city of Emon.

The Percy she knew back then would have never faced off against a blue dragon, that's for sure.

(Y/n) eventually got a proper, more light-hearted meeting from everyone. The druid - Keyleth - was rather happy to get to know you. Vax'ildan kept his distance, but seemed somewhat happy to see (Y/n) wasn't going to kill him. Vex'ahlia was calm and polite, but secretly asked for some secrets on younger Percy to bug him with later. Scanlan was...well, (Y/n) found out he was normally the way he was. And then there was Grog, who - begrudgingly - gave back the serrated hand-axes while awing about how awesome they were. (Y/n) was quick to give her apologies to Archibald, who insisted that it was alright. She wasn't in control after all.

But there wasn't time to truly talk to everyone. Time was ticking and Cassandra was still in danger. The longer they waited, the worse of a fate she'd bare.

"The noble De Rolo residences, once symbols of the connection between the royal family and their people...Now the Briarwoods hand them out as trophies to their cronies." Archibald had explained while (Y/n) and Vox Machina followed him into the night, avoiding the main roads as the undead giants thundered through. "Stonefell got one, their Enforcer Duke Vedmire lives in the one we passed earlier..."

The town looked even more dead than the giants. How much did (Y/n) miss...?

It wasn't long until the whole team got in position under a small look-out covered by rubble right in the front of Professor Anders' estate. The place alone triggered some memories...but what exact memories they were still made (Y/n)'s head ache. There was screaming, a dark chuckle, a shine of something silver...

"And right there, Professor Anders," Archibald scowled, looking through the large building with a telescope. "My scouts got word he's holding the Kestrel here."

The mansion was surrounded by Pale Guard like angry bees to a disturbed hive. After hearing Percy explain how he killed Stonefell and set the prison ablaze, it was no surprise security would be ramped up to 100. The Briarwoods would be keeping its eyes on the village now, looking for Vox Machina. Percy wanted to rush in guns blazing - literally. Scanlan had offered to go by himself to Duke Vedmire's estate to create a diversion to distract the guards, and wouldn't take no for an answer.

Once he was gone, the bunker fell into a tense silence. Percy was the tensest of all, his eyes constantly on the mansion and any sign of the guards leaving. And yet...he had noticed how quiet (Y/n) had become after she had left the tavern basement with everyone. Percy had caught how her gaze had darkened when they moved through the village, confusion and guilt going back and forth behind her eyes. Even now, sitting against the wall and holding her serrated hand axes, she seemed so lost. Between her and his sister, there was so much to worry over, so much to take care of.