Chapter 5

Once they both settled back in the house, Faye started cooking dinner for them. She peeled the two sweet potatoes and cut them into dice, then she washed a cup of rice before pouring it into a pot of water. She added the sweet potatoes with the rice before it started cooking. She then placed a lid on top of the pot before grabbing a couple of unpeeled sweet potatoes and putting them in the oven.

"Faye? What are you cooking? You are worrying me? Are you sure you can cook dinner tonight? I can do it," her grandmother hollered from the living room.

"Yes, grandma, trust me," she hollered back before smiling.

"But... you are only 15," her grandmother said and walked into the kitchen.

"Hey, I said no help," she said and stopped washing the rest of the vegetables before stopping her grandmother from helping her. "Come on, you don't trust me," she said in a teasing voice.

"But..." her grandmother tries to say.

"No buts," she said as her grandmother finally gave in and stopped.

Faye smiled and shook her head and thought to herself, ever since she got married to Parker, he forced her to quit her career and made her stay home as she wanted to impress him, so she learned to cook all sorts of things to French and all the way to Chinese cuisine. However, he never bothered eating it or time to come home as he "supposed" had to stay late at work. And, now she finally knew that he was probably with Rin..."

"Faye? Faye!" her grandmother called.

"Huh?" she snapped out of her thoughts. "Yes," she answered her grandmother.

"Your porridge is overflowing," her grandmother said.

"Oh!" she said, shocked, and hurried to the porridge. She lowered the temperature and opened the lid as she stirred the rice porridge. After the rice porridge has settled a bit, she resumes washing the vegetable and fish filet. First, she cut up green onions, cilantro, and tomatoes and set it aside before she set a pan up and poured oil in, then she placed the uncooked fish filet in. As the heat was rising, she started breaking it into tiny pieces, and once it was cooked, she added the green onions, cilantro, and tomatoes until everything became fully cooked. She still kept an eye on the porridge and continued to stir it.

"Okay, grandma, food is ready," she said before bringing two bowls of rice porridge to the table and the fish dish. "And for dessert is baked sweet potatoes," Faye said before sitting down with the baked sweet potatoes.

Her grandmother chuckled and said, "How is that dessert?"

Faye smiled at her grandmother and said, "Because it's sweet."

Her grandmother laughed at her granddaughter but smiled in delight to have her here with her.