Chapter 20

"I'm so exhausted," Janine said as they arrived back at her coffee shop.

Faye sat on a stool before saying, "Janine, that's the last of me helping strangers. I'm not a customer service, so if someone turns up, send them away." she said seriously."I know. I'm so sorry. I didn't think that poster would get out of hand," Janine truly apologize."Yeah, yeah," Faye said with something on her mind. "Faye, are you okay?" Janine asked. Faye didn't respond as those words "a nobody and boring and plain girl" were eating her mind. She then looked at the time and said, "I gotta go. I see you later, Janine."

Faye rushed to the destination her grandfather had told her to meet. Once she pulled up to the destination, she saw it wasn't a normal restaurant, but a ceremony was happening. She was about to zoom off until her grandfather stepped in front of her car. He signals her to come out, but she didn't move. However, Ben opened her car door and said, "Good evening, Faye. Your grandfather has been waiting for your arrival." "Is that so?'' her lips tighten. "Come now, Faye.'' her grandfather's voice was heard. She reluctantly exited her car as Ben handed her keys to the valet. She glared at her grandfather as he just smiled. "I assume you never had a meeting this afternoon," her teeth grinded together. "If I didn't lie, you wouldn't have come," her grandfather said. Faye now understands why her grandfather told her to wear something nice, as she is wearing a black knitted shoulder peek-a-boo dress with black wedge booties. Her grandfather and Ben were entering the building, a voice appeared as it was mocking, "Oh look at that, Faye is here." She turned her attention to the man speaking. "It seems like your grandfather had tricked you,'' the man chuckled. "Shut up, Robert." Faye elbowed him in the stomach without anyone noticing and headed inside. "Oh, come on. I was just teasing you that's all," Robert tried to keep up with her. "Well, at least I have someone I know," he said. "Oh, I really... Do I know you, though?" Faye joke. "Oh, come on," Robert whined. Faye smirks before entering the building as Robert tries to catch up to her. Her grandfather and Ben were waiting for her when they noticed her with Robert. "Faye, who is this?" Ben asks, nicely. "I don't know who-..." as Faye was cut off before Robert answered, "Nice to meet you. The name is Robert Long." Her grandfather accepted Robert's handshake and said, "How is it working for my granddaughter?" Faye quickly turned her head towards her grandfather and shot him a shocked glaze. Robert nervously laughs as Faye says, "How long did you know?" Her grandfather smiled, "Do you really think I didn't know about your company? The company is called Ming," which silenced Faye. Faye then brushed it off and headed inside. Robert did a quick smile before trying to follow Faye, but her grandfather asked, "Why are you willing to baby her and allow her to do whatever she wants while you handle her company?"Robert smiled again, "What about you? Why do you baby her?" Her grandfather chuckled and answered, "Because," without truly answering. Robert directed his attention to the back of Faye as she was entering the ceremony, he said, "to answer your question, it's because she was willing to see the potential I had and help me." His eyes showed tenderness.

All eyes were on her in amazement, yet their head tilted in curiosity as they all thought she was beautiful, but they didn't know who she was. Faye continued walking until Robert entered as people noticed him and greeted him. "Oh, Robert. Nice to meet you. It's a pleasure to see you here,'' people said while shaking his hand. They wanted to continue talking to him, but once they saw her grandfather and assistant enter they all hurried to him to praise him and give him all their attention."Mr. Davidson, how are you?" someone said. "Mr. Davidson, it's so good to see you here tonight," another said."Mr. Davidson, it's a pleasure to meet you," another said as they continue talking to him. Even though her grandfather has not answered any of them and just walks past them. "Excuse us," Ben said, being the only one to answer them.

Robert was already by Faye's side and said, "I can see where you get your cold side," Robert was leaning towards Faye as he was whispering to her. Faye just smiled and replied, "Sorry to disappoint you, but I got my cold side from my grandmother." "Your grandmother?" Robert said, curious. Before Robert could talk again, her grandfather called out, "Faye," as if it was telling her to come here. Both Robert and Faye looked at each other before they made their way to her grandfather. Then another outburst of people greeted someone, causing Faye's attention to look over towards the door as her eyes froze. It was them. The people she thought she would no longer see in this lifetime are standing right there with others praising and greeting them. She could hear them as her heart tightened. "My my, Rin, you grew up so stunning and beautiful each time I see you." someone praised. "You do have such a stunning daughter," another said. "Of course, my daughter is beautiful," Faye's mother chuckled in delight. "You guys are speaking nonsense. I'm just average-looking. Nothing compares to you guys." The beautiful, stunning Rin said. "Aww, your daughter is such a humble person," one of the ladies said, blushing. Rin just blushed and smiled, filling up the hearts of everyone around them. Then her father noticed Robert as Faye quickly turned away, making him miss seeing her. In the corner of her eyes, she saw her father walking toward them, and she quickly walked away. "Faye?" Robert called before her father reached him. "Nice to meet you, Robert." her father shakes hands with Robert. "I would like to have a discussion with you," he continued. Faye tried to go to her grandfather until she noticed him occupied with someone, so she turned away and hurried somewhere else. There she spotted an area where she could go. She reached the drink table and picked up a glass of water. She quickly took a drink of the cool water as her grip was tightly on the glass. All she could think was the vivid memories of their faces that haunt her. "Hello again. We meet again," a voice covered the memories. Faye looks up to see a stunning man with his hair combed back and his perfect jawline reflecting the light. "Oh, it's you," she said, oddly having these nervous chills run down her spine. "How's your car?" He smiled brightly as she clearly remembered rumors in her past life that he never smiled at anyone easily. Her face tightened up at the sight of his smile before saying, "my car is fine." "Ohh," he said as his smile disappeared and his cold expressions returned, bringing a chilly sensation to her heart. He didn't continue the conversation as he just stood by her in silence. He had noticed something was up with her, so he kept to himself.

At that moment, a decent-looking man had reached them, causing Faye to clutch onto her glass of water tighter as her eyes showed resentment. "Ah, Leo, I would like to talk to you-" the man stopped mid-sentence as his eyes had locked with Faye. Parker looked at the mature female as she looked familiar, but he couldn't pinpoint it. He then redirects attention to Leo again. "I wanted to talk to you about my project," he said. Faye did a quick, silent snort and muttered deadly, "Of course." She knew they probably don't remember her as they didn't even think she was important to leave space in their memories. Leo noticed her hand gripping tighter on the cup as his face didn't show any expression while he was looking at Parker.

"Rin dear, are you looking for Parker?" Faye's mother said. Rin smiled before saying, "Excuse me." She left Faye's mother's side and was scanning the room. She then noticed the back of Parker, and she made her way toward him. She was reaching closer to him, she noticed he was talking to someone as she redirected her eyes to the tall handsome man. She saw it was the most wealthy bachelor in the city; however, she had heard that no women had caught his attention. She smiled as she brushed her hair to reveal her exposed shoulders. She then noticed the female beside him. Rin could only see the side profile of the female's face, but Rin found her to be somewhat familiar. Rin quickly makes her way toward them as she must find out who that person is. Rin has a strong insecure feeling in her heart.