Chapter 42

A month has passed, and Faye has finally recovered. Lake tried to start the conversation with Faye multiple times through text, but Faye was like a wall and only replied back with a few words. She found the kid to be such a determined and amusing person. He kind of reminded her of Ian, like a little brother. Even though both of them were 20 years old in this life, her 32-year-old self couldn't help but treat him as a kid.

During her recovery, the Green Star company had just started working on their project, and at the end of the week, they would be launching their project.

"Faye, Dave had informed me that we have to be there tomorrow to see how Green Star's project is going so far before making the approval with them that they can launch their project," Eve reported to Faye, as they were in their office in the Lon Company.

"Alright," Faye answered back while leaning against the chair and looking at the progress report of Green Star's project. Eve was working on the next project as she was constantly looking up from the laptop. "Who are you looking for?" Faye asked, noticing Eve's weird gesture.

Her face flustered before saying, "Um, nothing."

"Don't lie. I can see you are popping your head up and down for a while now," Faye answered as her eyes didn't leave the progress report.

"You caught me. I was looking if I could spot Dave," Eve said with her cheeks reddened.

"So, are you two a thing yet?" Faye casually asked. Eve lowered her head in disappointment, "No... He won't let me cross the line between business and personal relationships yet. However, I don't know what to do anymore." Faye finally stopped looking at the report and looked at her.

"This is not like you. You never lose hope that quickly. You always try your best," Faye said.

"Really?" Eve's face lit up instantly. "You are right. I will continue to try my best," Eve said.

"Just don't lose yourself, though. Since you are lying to yourself and making yourself someone you are not," Faye said. Eve's face toned down a bit before saying, "I know...."

—-

"How is your arm?" Leo asked Faye. It was the next day, and they were in the car, driving to the building site of Green star's project.

"It's fine," Faye answered back, looking out the window. It was only Faye and Leo in the car. Earlier, all four of them were ready to leave together, but Eve had forgotten to grab some documents, and Dave volunteered to go back with her. So, both Leo and Faye headed out first.

In the quiet car, Faye continued to stare out the window and felt it was uncomfortable being together. Since they haven't brought up what happened the last time. She also felt it odd that he hasn't irritated her lately as he did before. He silently drove, and she was the one that felt irritated. "Are we not going to bring up what happened?" Faye said, not understanding why it was bothering her.

"It's not my decision to bring it up, or not," Leo calmly said. She glanced at him, sizing him up. "Is there a problem," he calmly said again, with eyes still on the road.

"I find it funny that you haven't done anything to irritate me lately," Faye pointed out.

"Why is that? You clearly stated that you dislike me, so why continue," he said unfazed.

"I didn't say I didn't like you," Faye said, without realizing what she was saying as if it unconsciously came out of her mouth. "What... I mean is... I don't like seeing your smile," Faye tried to correct herself. Leo chuckled before saying, "is that so..." Faye was amazed to see Leo's face brighten and his face looked refreshed as he chuckled with his fist covering his smile. In her heart, she couldn't describe it, but she felt this warm discomfort heating up inside her. She tried to ignore this discomfort as he said, "why do you dislike my smile?"