Chapter 1: An Arc's Abduction

The lights shut off, and the projector whirred to life, casting an image onto the large theater screen.

"Here we go!" Ruby whispered excitedly, bouncing in her seat.

For a couple of seconds, all that could be seen was inky blackness. Then, out of the darkness, a familiar voice spoke up.

"Mallet Island," Jaune Arc said with a sigh. "I'll never forget it. It was there that I faced off against legions of the Creatures of Grimm, and battled against their sinister king, Mundus." A black and white flashback appeared on the screen, showcasing Jaune and Trish watching as a giant hand stretched out to them in vain, as it was pulled through a wormhole.

"So, the Grimm have a king in this reality, eh?" Roman said thoughtfully, stroking his chin. "Well, That doesn't sound too implausible."

It would explain how such mindless beasts seem capable of strategy, Neo added via her Scroll.

"Despite my best efforts, I only managed to seal the vile Grimm King away, and escape Mallet Island before it was destroyed by the collapse of its portal to the Grimm World." This piece of dialogue was accompanied by another monochrome scene of an old-fashioned Bullhead soaring in the skies above the ocean, as the island in question tore itself apart in a giant explosion.

"Heh, now that was a memorable climax," Qrow chuckled, taking a sip from his flask.

"I wish we had been able to get here in time to see that," Whitley sighed wistfully.

"Indeed," Ironwood said with a nod. "I imagine it had been quite the spectacle."

"Believe me, it was," Ozpin assured him.

"In the aftermath of Mundus's defeat, I had expected there to be an increase in Grimm attacks of apocalyptic proportions," Jaune's voice confessed. "After all, there could be no possible way that the Grimm King would stand for being so utterly humiliated by a mere human." A moment of silence followed these ominous words. "Instead, things just went back to normal. Or as normal as things can be, in my line of work."

A new black and white image appeared, showcasing Jaune and Trish laughing as they exited the Huntsman's shop, Grimm Never Cry, on their way to another job.

"Sure, the Creatures of Grimm stirred up some trouble here and there, but it was nothing I couldn't handle. Especially with my new business partner fighting by my side."

"So Trish and our Fearless Leader are working together now?" Nora asked, before smiling brightly. "That's awesome!"

"Yes, it will be good for Jaune to have someone watching his back," Ren announced.

"And so, my life fell into a routine," Jaune declared, contentment evident in his voice. "Wake up, sit at my desk, answer calls, head out on jobs if need be, and then come back home. It was a simple pattern, but I certainly wasn't complaining. After all, that left more time to be with my family."

One final monochrome image appeared on the screen, this one a still photo. Jaune was there, smiling happily. One of his arms was wrapped around a beaming Ruby Rose, who had allowed her hair to grow down to shoulder level.

"She's beautiful," Tai whispered, beginning to tear up. "Almost the spitting image of her mother." Then he noticed something else in the photograph. "Wait, is that-"