Chapter 3: To the Rescue

"Jaune sure lucked out back there," Sun commented, as the audience settled back down. "If that church bell hadn't have rang when it did..."

"Tell me about it," Nora grumbled, shaking her head. "Jaune hasn't been fighting at his strongest these last couple of episodes. He's been taking a lot more hits than usual."

"He's got a big heart, and I love him for that," Pyrrha stated. "But these villagers are going to be the death of him, unless something changes quick."

"Indeed," Ren said with a nod, as the lights began to dim. "It would be in his best interest o resolve this moral dilemma as soon as possible."

The episode began with Jaune on his Scroll, talking to Winter.

"Winter, I have some bad news," the Huntsman reported, a somber look on his face. "I've confirmed the body of an officer. Something's happened to the people here."

"That's an understatement," Qrow scoffed.

"Jaune, you need to get out of there," Winter's voice declared. "Look for a tower. Follow the trail near it."

"Got it." Jaune pocketed his Scroll, then took a look around, scouring his surroundings for the aforementioned tower. In a couple moments, he had found it- most of the houses in the village were only one-story anyway, and there was only one structure within the settlement's walls that towered over all the other buildings, even the chapel with its bell steeple. The Huntsman quickly made his way over to the tower, where he found a sign with an arrow pointing down a small dirt path. The word "Farm" was written on the sign in white paint. "Well, I guess that's where I'm going next," Jaune commented, before starting down the path.

"Oh, great," Coco groaned. "I can't even imagine how many of those crazed villagers will be waiting for him there."

"Hopefully not very many," Velvet murmured. "Jaune's taken a lot of hits already. Even with his Semblance, his Aura's bound too be low by now."

The scene charged to show a Jaune making his way through a barnyard, as chickens pecked at the ground around him. From inside the barn, a couple of cows could be heard mooing, either out of hunger or a need to be milked. Despite the presence of humans tending to the animals, as evidenced by the seeds scattered about the ground for the chickens to eat, there was no sign of any villagers in the area.

"Well, that's weird," Emerald commented. "They're really just going to leave all their animals unattended?"

"Emerald, I think it's already been established that these people are completely out of their minds," Mercury deadpanned. "These people disembowel trespassers for fun, and the neglect of cows and chickens is what bothers you?"

"Hey, they might be depraved, but they still carry about their everyday business, don't they?" the dark-skinned girl pointed out. "It's just weird to me, that's all."

"All the villagers must have headed into that chapel when that bell rang earlier," Jaune theorized. Still, the Huntsman unholstered Ebony and Ivory, ready to put his twin handguns to use at a moment's notice. His paranoia was quickly given justification, as voices could be heard, and were steadily growing louder by the moment. Jaune quickly slipped inside the barn, doing his best not to disturb the cows, who watched him blankly. The Huntsman took cover behind the barn's open rear door, then peeked outside, to see who was coming,

More villagers were making their way through a metal gate a short distance behind the barn. The man bringing in the lead carried a hunting rifle, while the one in the back dragged several bear traps across the ground behind him. All of the others had equipped themselves with various farming tools.