Chapter 11: Reunions and Revelations

"Come on, how long do we have to wait?" Tai grumbled. "I want to see my granddaughter safe and sound already!"

"Relax, old man," Qrow scoffed, ignoring his former teammate's indignant splutter. "Jaune was like, right next to the church last episode. That's where Summer is being held, so he's probably gonna to save her this very episode."

"Who are you calling 'old man?!'" Tai demanded. "You're two years older than me, Qrow!"

"Whatever." The drunk Huntsman rolled his eyes as the lights dimmed. "Just shut up and watch the show, would ya?"

The episode began with Jaune standing at the edge of the village graveyard, staring up at the church, which loomed ominously over him. The weather had taken a dramatic turn for the worse since the Huntsman had defeated the Grendel. Now, dark storm clouds rumbled with thunder overhead, and a torrent of rain poured down  from the sky. Occasionally, lightning would flash, briefly illuminating the graveyard and church with bright light. If Jaune was unnerved by all this, though, he certainly did not show it.

"There's the church," he said to himself, before pulling the round insignia out of his pocket. "I just need to use this to unlock the door, and then we can get out of here."

"That seems simple enough!" Saphron smiled brightly.

"Indeed it does," Whitley said with a nod. "So what's the catch?"

Insignia in hand, Jaune started up the path leading to the church. Before he could get too far, though, a familiar growling sound reached the Huntsman's ears. Teeth gritting, Jaune turned towards the graveyard, just in time to see a Beowolf lunging at him. The wolf Grimm slammed into the Huntsman's chest, knocking both of them to the ground.

"Whoa!" Sun yelped.

"Look out, Jaune!" Pyrrha cried.

Jaune grimaced as he held an arm up to defend his neck, causing the Beowolf's fang-filled maw to clamp down on his wrist rather than his throat. Aura flashed up the length of the Huntsman's arm as the wolf Grimm jerked the limb from side to side. Jaune grunted in pain, then used his free hand to punch the Beowolf in the eye. The wolf Grimm's mouth let go of his arm as it snarled in pain, allowing the Huntsman to throw the beast off of him. Jaune sprang back up onto his feet, quickly drawing Ivory. As the Beowolf charged towards him a second time, the Huntsman put a bullet right between its eyes. The wolf Grimm collapsed at Jaune's feet, and crumbled to ash.

"Well, that was fast," Mercury said, smirking.

"Of course it was!" Nora declared. "It was just one Beowolf. Those things are like one of the weakest Grimm out there!"

"Yes, but they make up for that by traveling in packs," Blake pointed out. "I doubt that Beowolf was alone. So where are the others?"

More growling could be heard from the graveyard, alerting Jaune to more Grimm in the area. Lightning flashed overhead, illuminating the area and revealing four more Beowolves -including a larger, more ferocious Alpha- crouched among the gravestones. The Huntsman let go of Ivory with one hand to beckon towards the wolf Grimm.

"Come on, you monstrous mutts!" he egged the Beowolves on. "Show me what you've got!"

"Go get 'em, Jaune!" Ruby cheered.

With a howl, one of the Beowolves burst forward and leaped into the air, intent on pouncing on Jaune like the first one had. The Huntsman dropped to one knee, and as the wolf Grimm soared over him, quickly fired off two shots into the beast's neck, killing it before it even hit the ground. Then Jaune holstered Ivory, and pulled out Crocea Mors in its Claymore form. As another Beowolf rushed him, the Huntsman sidestepped the attack, then drove his sword down upon the wolf Grimm's back, bisecting it in one swing. Jaune turned his head in time to see the other Beowolf standing up onto its hind legs, preparing to lunge at him. The Huntsman simply pivoted into a sideways slash, watching as his Claymore's blade cleaved the wolf Grimm's head from its shoulders.