Chapter 8: The Leviathan of the Lake

"Well, the kid's in for it now," Roman said with a shrug, casually ignoring the theater's "NO SMOKING ALOUD" sign as he lit himself a cigar. "Lagartodiles are no joke. When I was fifteen, there was a news report about an entire team of Huntsmen that were sent out to kill a pair of them. They'd been attacking boats from a fishing village or something."

"I remember that story as well," Ms. Goodwitch announced, a grave expression on her face. "Only one of the Huntsmen came back alive, and they had only been able to slay one of the Lagartodiles."

These are sounding less like swamp monsters, and more like dragons, Neo commented via her Scroll.

"Well, there's not much of a difference between them, really," Tai admitted. "Dragon Grimm have a breath weapon, and Lagartodiles don't. That's pretty much it." At this statement, most of the students began to grow nervous, but none more than Ruby and Pyrrha. The Jaune onscreen had achieved victory against all odds more times than they could count, but they still couldn't help but see the same goofy blonde that locked himself out of his own dorm room on a regular basis.

"Oh, Jaune," Pyrrha whispered, as the lights dimmed, "Please be careful..."

The episode began with Jaune still standing at the edge of the cliff, staring out over the lake. More specifically, he was staring at the opposite shore off in the distance, where he could see another dock and cabin.

"The key to freeing Summer is on the other side of this lake," the Huntsman murmured to himself. "So of course it also has to be home to one of the worst Grimm to inhabit Mistral." He took another look out at the lake, searching for any sign of the Lagartodile, but the beast was nowhere to be seen. "Man, for such a big creature, it sure is stealthy."

"As if getting past this thing wasn't going to be hard enough already," Yang groaned. "How's he supposed to avoid it if he doesn't even know where it is?!"

"Do Lagartodiles have any weaknesses?" Blake asked anxiously.

"Well, they're not very fast on dry land," Qrow stated. "But I highly doubt this one will leave the water."

Jaune looked around the lake's perimeter, trying to see if he could simply walk around the shore to the other side. Unfortunately, much like the hill he was standing on, the large body of water was almost completely surrounded by high, rocky cliffs.

"Well, I'm not going around," the Huntsman said with a sigh, before starting down the trail leading to the docks below him. "But there's no way I'm going to be able to swim across the lake. That thing would be onto me as soon as I entered the water."

"Whoa, whoa, why would he leap straight to swimming across?!" Mercury demanded. "He's heading for the docks, right? Why not just take one of their boats?"

"That would be the more intelligent choice," Penny agreed, before lowering her head. "Unfortunately, there is no boat to be found at the dock."

"Oh yeah, that's right," Nora whined. "There was a cabin on the beach, but no sign of a boat. Now what is our Fearless Leader going to do?"

Slowly but surely, Jaune followed the path down the hill leading to the beach. As he approached the docks, he was pleasantly surprised to see the same motorboat he had seen out on the water heading for the boardwalk as well.

"Huh. That'll work," the Huntsman declared.

"Perfect timing," Ren commented, impressed.

"I know, right!" Ruby said excitedly. "It looks like Jaune's luck is finally turning around~"

The boat's two occupants -the same villagers that had fed the other cop to the Lagartodile last episode- stood up, preparing to get onto the dock. Jaune took that as his cue to make his appearance known, and so he took a few steps forward, the sound his boots made on the boardwalk's planks catching the two men's attention. Their faces quickly contorted into glares as they realized who the man in front of them was.