Chapter 13: Showdown in a Shack

"I don't know how much more of these villagers I can take," Nora told Ren, tickling Adrien on his stomach as the little boy squirmed happily. "It's awful that those Grimm parasites give Pastel full control over their actions, but at the same time, they seem to enjoy brutally murdering people, you know?"

"I know what you mean, Nora," Pyrrha assured her teammate, as she cooed down at Adrien as well. "And don't worry, the sooner Jaune and Summer get out of that horrible place, the sooner we can move on from this nightmare." She turned towards Ren. "What do you think?"

"I'd like for the two of them to leave," the boy said solemnly. "But now that Pastel has revealed himself, I think Jaune and his daughter are in this for the long run." As the lights dimmed, he nodded at the screen. "Now, let us see what happens next."

The episode began with Jaune and Summer at the farmyard the Huntsman had come through earlier. This time, Jaune strode confidently up to the large gate that had denied him entry previously, before looking down at his daughter.

"Okay, Summer, now it's your turn to help daddy," he told his daughter gently. The little girl immediately looked up at him, her interest peaked.

"What do I do?" she asked. Jaune pointed at the gate.

"I need you to climb over to the other side of this, and unbar it for me. Think you can do that?" Summer nodded eagerly. Jaune hoisted his daughter by the waist, then gently tossed her upwards. The little girl grabbed onto the top of the gate, pulled herself over, then disappeared from sight. A few moments later, the Huntsman heard her grunting with exertion.

"I... can't... move it, daddy!" Summer called to him.

"Use your Aura, sweetie!" Jaune instructed. "You can do it!" There was no acknowledgement to his advice, just more grunting, followed by a cry of triumph.

"I got it!" she cheered. Jaune smiled, and pushed the large gate open, greeted with the site of Summer standing in front of him, a large wooden beam laying on the ground behind her.

"Whoa," Ruby murmured, her mouth agape. "You mean my daughter moved that thing all by herself?

"Atta girl, Summer!" Yang whooped.

"Heh, the tyke's just as strong as Yang was when she was that age," Qrow whispered to Tai.

"I know, that caused me more than my fair share of heart attacks," the blonde Huntsman replied. "Remember when she pulled the refrigerator down?"

"I knew you could do it!" Jaune beamed, ruffling his daughter's hair. Together, the two followed a short trail that led to a large rope bridge stretching across a gorge, with a river far beneath. On the other side of the gorge, a large shack could be seen. Jaune and Summer started across the bridge. Before they could get too far, though, the Huntsman's Scroll rang, causing him to stop and take it out.

"Jaune, I have some bad news," Winter's voice reported. Jaune grimaced.

"I'd rather not here it."

"Well, I am afraid I have to tell you anyway," the Specialist sighed. "We have lost contact with the Manta. Someone must have shot it down, though we cannot determine who."

"Great..." the Huntsman groaned.

The audience groaned as well.

"So much for a speedy escape," Mercury said with a grimace.

"What do they mean, 'they can't determine who shot the Manta down?'" Emerald demanded. "It had to be the Church of Salem, who else could it be?"

"While I agree with you, let's not forget that so far, all of Jaune's enemies have been using farming equipment and low-caliber firearms for weaponry," Cinder reminded her. "If they have access to military-grade weapons, it's a bit strange that they haven't used any against him yet."