Chapter 5: Jaune's New Groove

"Do you think Mr. Arc will take Torchwick's 'motivational speech' to heart, Ozpin?" Ms. Goodwitch asked.

"It would be in his best interest to," the Headmaster of Beacon Academy responded. "The loss of human lives is always tragic, but the citizens of this village are essentially Grimm, now. Jaune cannot hold back, or he will die."

"Well, no time like the present to find out," Qrow commented, as the theater lights began to dim. "Come on, punk. You gotta save Summer, by any means necessary."

The episode began where the last had left off, as Jaune prepared to head through the gate in the stone wall. The Huntsman took a deep breath to calm his nerves, then pushed the gate open, and headed through.

On the other side, Jaune found himself standing before a large gorge, just as he had expected. A wooden walkway stretched across the length of the gorge, connecting a couple paths and structures built into the sides of the surrounding mountains. A cold wind blew throughout the area, making the walkway wobble unreassuringly.

"That doesn't look very safe," Ghira said with a frown. Kali put a comforting hand on her husband's shoulder.

"I know, dear, but I think he has to go that way," she pointed out. "That was the direction Torchwick pointed him in, anyway."

"There he is!" At the sound of a voice, Jaune turned to his right to see a small sloping trail leading down to the side of another mountain. The man who had spoken was standing at the bottom of the slope, a pitchfork in his hands. "Let's get him!" The Huntsman narrowed his eyes, his hand flying back behind him to unsheathe Crocea Mors.

"Bring it on!" he challenged the villager.

"Go, Fearless Leader!" Nora cheered. "Break their legs!" 

The villager attacked first, rushing forward and thrusting his pitchfork at Jaune's chest. The Huntsman knocked the attack aside with his sword, before spinning into a downwards slice that cleaved through both the pitchfork and most of the villager's chest, nearly slicing the man in two. The sound of footsteps on wooden boards caught Jaune's attention, causing him to look up in time to see a second villager running toward him across the wooden walkway, a sickle in hand. The Huntsman ran to meet him, ducking under his wild swing before dragging Crocea Mors across his abdomen, disemboweling him.

"Hey, Vomit Boy's off to a WAY better start this time!" Yang said with a grin.

"Yeah, he can do this!" Ruby smiled, then lurched as she watched the violence unfold  onscreen. "I wish he was fighting Grimm instead of people, though."

As his opponent fell away from him, Jaune caught sight of a third villager standing on the roof of the small building on the other side of the gorge, a hunting rifle in hand. The villager took aim and fired at the Huntsman, but almost instantaneously, Crocea Mors' scabbard was out in front of Jaune, blocking the attack in its shield form. The Huntsman sheathed his sword, then pulled out Ivory and responded with a couple shots of his own. The bullets struck true, tearing through the villager's chest. However, even though his shirt was beginning to stain red, the villager simply sneered, and took aim with his rifle again.

"It looks like Torchwick was right," Velvet determined, her mouth contorting into a grimace. "Ebony and Ivory aren't going to work as well, anymore."

"Lucky thing he gave Jaune some new weaponry, then," Coco said, smiling.