Chapter 12: On the Run

"I'm glad that Jaune and Summer are reunited, but I can't help but wish it was under better circumstances," Kali sighed, laying against Ghira's chest for comfort.

"I know what you mean," her husband responded. "I was hoping the boy could just rescue his daughter and go, but this Pastel fellow complicates matters."

"Indeed, I highly doubt that madman intends to let them escape," Ironwood said with a nod. "If Pastel really does have control over the entire village, then he'll likely throw everything he has at Jaune and Summer to capture them."

"In any case, there is only one way to find out," Willow stated, as the lights began to dim. "Let us see what happens next..." With those ominous words, the audience settled in to watch the next part of the story.

The episode began with Jaune and Summer in the church graveyard, hiding behind a large tombstone. Their reason for doing this took the form of a mob of villagers at least thirty strong, armed with torches, pitchforks, and firearms. The group was making its way towards the church, led by the big, burly chieftain.

"They cannot have gotten too far," the large, bearded man announced. "I must meet with Lord Pastel for further instructions. The rest of you, scour the wetlands! There's a chance the Spawn of Ozma fled back towards the lake. If you find them, bring the girl back unharmed, but feel free to kill the Huntsman. He's just as useful to our cause dead."

"Yikes," Sun cringed. "Pastel ain't fooling around if he's got the big guy in on the action."

"Tell me about it," Yang said, looking equally as uneasy. "That dude's kicked Jaune's ass twice now!"

"Language, young lady!" Tai scolded, before stopping to process what she had said. "Though you do have a point..."

Jaune and Summer silently watched as the large chieftain made his way into the church, slamming the door shut behind him.

"All right, you heard the Chief!" one of the villagers near the front of the mob called to the rest. "Spread out among the wetlands, and let's find those runaways!" A chorus of cheers rose up from the congregation. The mob stormed off, leaving the churchyard empty save for the Huntsman and his daughter. As soon as he was certain the coast was clear, Jaune came out from behind the tombstone, holding Summer's hand firmly within his own.

"Come on," he told his daughter. "We've got to keep moving!"

"But daddy," Summer protested, as the two of them started off again. "We're going straight towards where all those bad people live!"

"Hey, Summer's right!" Ruby realized. "That shack they're heading towards leads right back to the village! Shouldn't Jaune try to avoid that place?"

"Don't worry, Summer," Jaune told his daughter, as he led her into the shack with the underground passageway connecting the churchyard and the village chapel. "Daddy's got it all figured out. If these creeps are going to be searching all over the place for us, then their village is the last place they'll look."

"That actually makes sense," Pyrrha admitted after a second of silence. "If those villagers are going to be looking around the wetlands, then they obviously don't think Jaune will go back to the village."

"Then that means our Fearless Leader can just slip right by those creeps undetected!" Nora realized.

Jaune dropped down the hole leading into the tunnel, not even bothering to clamber down the ladder. Once he landed, he turned around and held out his hands. Summer carefully took a step towards the hole, then closed her eyes and jumped in. She landed safely in her father's outstretched arms, who set her gently on her feet, then took her hand and escorted her down the dark, damp passage.