15. In-laws

Gulf's hospital bed and the machines were transferred to his bedroom. Mew and Bright would be sleeping in the same room as they did not want to be away from Gulf.

Bright cuddled into Mew's embrace. He could hear Mew's heartbeat and the faint beeping of machines. His heart felt heavy at the thought of his dad, yet felt warm as Mew was with him.

"Da-Mew?"

"Yes Bright?"

Bright looked up, peeking at Mew ftom underneath his bangs. "Can you sing me a song? I can't sleep."

"Of course sweetheart.

And you can call me Dad, Daddy, father, anything you want."

Bright smiled widely at that. He shuffled closer to Mew.

Mew sang softly, his singing drowning out the beeping of machines, making Bright feel calmer.

Feeling the tiny hand that clutched his shirt loosen, Mew looked at Bright and saw that he had fallen asleep.

He pecked Bright on the forehead.

"Good night Bright. Good night Gulf."

-----

"Aww they look so cute."

"Let's not disturb them honey. They need rest."

"A few more pictures. Promise."

"I think your definition of 'a few' is different from mine. You took over twenty pictures of Mew and Bright."

"But each picture is different! This picture focuses on how small Bright looks on Mew's embrace. This picture focuses on Bright clinging on to Mew. And each picture must have a landscape and portrait version. So..."

Mew could hear faint noises. Opening his eyes sleepily, he was startled to see a couple in their fifties or sixties standing in front of the bed.

He wanted to sit up but Bright was laying on top of him.

"It's alright son. Let the boy sleep." The man waved his hand, gesturing for Mew to lay back down.

"I heard that you and Bright didn't have dinner. Look at the time, it is 10.a.m." The lady scolded Mew lovingly.

Mew was still confused as to what was going on.

"Sorry, may I know who you are?" Mew asked sheepishly.

The lady smacked her husband's arm. "Where are our manners! We are Gulf's parents."

Mew's eyes widened. He didn't expect to meet his boyfriend's parents like this.

Of course he knew who they were. Gulf's parents were the 'power couple' of the century. They stood at the top of high society. After they retired from their respective careers, they kept a very low profile. That was why Mew didn't recognise them. At present, there were hardly any pictures of them nor news of their personal lives that could be found on the internet.

David Kanawut Traipipattanapong had built the Kanawut Traipipattanapong empire from the ground up. He went against all the odds. The military's influence, the agriculture-centred Thai economy in the 1970s and 1980s, the Asian Financial Crisis in 1997. Through his foresight, intellect and strong relationships with his employees and clients, Kanawut Traipipattanapong Enterprises grew  and sat at the top in Thailand. Nevertheless, he took a step back and handed over the business to his son, Gulf, when he was diagnosed with cancer. He has since recovered and been declared cancer-free, enjoying retirement with his wife.

Layla Kanawut Traipipattanapong was a leading presence in the fashion industry. She has hosted several Met Galas with Anna Wintour, worked with famous designers such as Alexander McQueen and was once head publisher of Vogue Paris. Although she has retired, she is still widely sought after at fashion shows and other high profile events. She is now focusing on philanthropy and women's rights, working alongside the UN, charities and NGOs.