26. Small things

After the prosecutors left, Gulf turned to face the rest of the board.

He gave a 90° bow before standing back upright.

"Thank you for being part of this company despite the unscrupulous actions behind closed doors. I apologise for not acting sooner to rid our company of the dirt. I hope to continue working with all of you to improve our company and write our company's future."

Korn, one of the first few investors of the company and a family friend, spoke up. He was part of the board since the start of the company, making him very respected amongst the board members.

"I think I speak for everyone. Gulf, you have already fulfilled your responsibility of being the head of the company by acting fast and cautiously when dealing with the perpetrators. You have shown a strong resolve to rid of the corrupted, a calm and collected manner in handling this severe issue as well as having bounded optimism for the company's future.

Your achievements along the years aren't the only reason why we are sitting in this room. We are here because we have confidence in your leadership. And the leadership that you have displayed today makes this confidence we have firm and set in stone."

Gulf smiled genuinely. He was glad that he didn't let the board down, that he didn't waste his father's efforts in gathering these people.

"Everyone, thank you for your belief in me. I will treat all of you to a meal one day with my father."

The board members cheered happily, making Mew and Bright chuckle at how childish they were. Who would have thought that these powerful men would be so happy with a simple offer to buy them a meal?

Gulf waved his hand a little, in a motion to quieten down. "Now now, we still have several administrative matters to handle."

Soft groans and sighs could be heard as the room quieted down. They quickly sobered. Business was still business after all. They had to be serious.

"First, to discuss the company's direction from here onwards. This will be done at a later date.

Second, what do we do with the positions of the board members who were arrested.

When each of you officially became a board member, you had to sign an agreement. One of the clauses in the agreement stated that if the party committed any criminal acts, the head of the company and rest of the board has the right to dismiss them from the board. Moreover, the party's shares will be returned to the head.

Does everyone think that this is a suitable way to handle their positions? Or does anyone have any suggestions?"

Benedict, an investor from Europe, spoke up. "I think we should follow the agreement and later release the outcome to the public. By doing so, it will give the employees the security that the board does not abuse their power and overlook the crimes of those board members. Moreover the public will see that the company is establishing a strong stance against corruption, instilling confidence in our business and having a positive impression of us."

The rest of the board members nodded, murmurs of agreement spreading throughout the room.

"If anyone doesn't have any other suggestions, we will hold a vote."

Papers and pens were handed out to the board members. After everyone has placed their votes in the voting box, Tul as well as several trusted personnel went to a room to count the votes.

It was a unanimous decision; the agreement will be followed and the corrupt board members will be dismissed.

After the results were announced and several more administrative tasks were discussed, the meeting concluded.