9. Maa

Priya was sleeping. There was knock on her door. She reached to her phone to check the time. It was around 12.30 am. She opened the door. It was Shivina. She looked disturb.

"Mami called. Ram... Ram Bhai," she stammered. "Health", she choked up. She hugged her and began to cry. Priya realized it was about Ram.

She was aware that lately Shivina was taking efforts to understand Ram, to strengthen their bond. She was growing fond of him.

She made her sit and allow her to cry till she was ready to speak. Seeing her calm down, she passed a glass of water to her, "What happened?"

She swallowed and said, "Something happened to Bhai. They are taking him to the hospital. Mami is not yet aware of the exact thing. Akki bhi nahi hain yaha. Pri di, I'm worried." She rested on her shoulder.

"Do you want to visit him?"

"Now?"

Priya nodded.

"But isn't it too late. We don't have car or anyone to drive us"

"Don't worry. I'll call the Auto Rickshaw guy who drops me to college. It's an emergency and he'd come. We'll go."

She wiped her tears and thanked Priya. Priya smiled faintly at her to assured her that everything would be fine. Ram would be fine.

They reached the hospital. Nandini called Shivina and she broke down into tears again.

He was admitted. Everyone waited outside the room. Priya remain quiet instead of enquiring anything she chose to stand in the corner. He was out of her sight.

All were in distress but she could tell that Adi was worried more than anyone else. He peeped inside the room through the glass on the door every 2-3 minutes while the doctors were still inside. Brinda tried to pacify him but he continued to do so.

Finally, the door opened and the doctor arrived. They surround him. Priya walked a little closer to the room in an attempt to hear him.

The room had a window. The nurse opened the zebra blinds. Priya could see him.

He laid unconsciously. The color had drained out of his face. He was still wearing the shirt with blood stains on it. Though there was no blood on his face there were some marks of blood stains on and around his nose. The IV was inserted on his left hand while there was a bandage on his right hand too. Perhaps for the blood sample for the test.

Can't they take it from on hand instead of both.

The doctor informed them that he had missed his BP medicines. Additionally, it seems that he had been under lot of stress. "Aap unka khyaal rakhte ho ki nahi?" he scolded them.

They looked at each other completely deadpan.

"Is he alright now?" Aditya asked.

Doctor told him he was much better than earlier but still unconscious. The blood reports suggests that his diet is not in control. The dark circles indicates his bad sleeping habits. You know he is patient of high blood pressure, this is not good for him. He is now hooked up to an IV. They would monitor him and how he responds to the medication for some time. If everything is under control, he might be discharged by tomorrow itself. But he must strictly rest at least for few days.

The doctor left.

****

Ram moved his head slightly. He could hear the beeping sound from the machines around him. The smell of drugs, antiseptics filled the air. He opened he eyes, looked around and it confirmed that he was in the hospital.