35. Sharing Life

"Mr. Kapoor," he heard her.

Pri-Priya!? Yaha?

He was dazed, knowing she came to his room looking for him, but immediately got hold of himself, not missing her cracked-up voice, and answered, "Ek, ek second!"

He glanced in the mirror, dabbed his face vaguely, and rushed to the door.

The door opened. As her eyes met with his, gloomy and tearful, she spoke without thinking, "Shaadi karenge mujhse?"

"Huh?" He stumbled and grasped the edge of the door for support.

"Huh," she echoed, and she looked away instantly, realizing what had left her mouth.

The ongoing wedding talks between the families, then coming to terms with her feelings for him, thereafter overhearing his brother and breaking his heart to find out he was her comforting stranger—no wonder she uttered that.

And does taking the first step really make one weak? Or is expressing what one truly wants sabotaging their pride? Is it a mistake to follow one's heart and act out of emotion?

But wasn't this always her situation with him?

She has always acted on impulse and emotion, whenever it was him. Be it giggling at his lame jokes or forcing him to take a family picture, lying to her mother so he wouldn't have dinner alone on Diwali, or even pushing him away from her, he affected her like no one else did.

And it was proven today yet again.

He took a few steps towards her and said softly, "Priya."

She glanced up at him. Though his eyes weakened her, in a way they also gave her the courage and strength to be truthful, as she admitted, "I was scared. I am scared."

"Me too," he replied, "but I know we'll figure it out together."

The corners of her eyes crinkled. She was still scared, perhaps even more now that she had proposed to him, but knowing he too had fears like her had assured her to some extent. It wasn't just her who feared the change, and like he said, they will probably figure it out together.

Tears threatened to spill out of his eyes as he saw the faint smile on her face. He remembered Vikrant's words a few days ago when he talked about his new girlfriend. He said that when we meet the right one, all the pain, the past, and the wait will be worth it. You'll be glad that you didn't settle or give in and trusted your heart. He often wondered how their lives would've been if Priya had said yes the other day, if they had found each other sooner, or if the compromise had distanced them apart. Today, after hearing her propose and say out loud that she wants to spend her life with him, he felt it couldn't have been better.

As they exchanged a smile, she glanced down, and he noticed the plate full of colors in her hand. It had almost slipped his mind that it was Holi, one of his favorite festivals, today.

He walked closer to her, eyed the color, and asked, "May I?"

There was no way the Priya Sood let anyone, a man, put color on her. But the man in question was her favorite human. How could she say no to him? That too when she was looking into his eyes. Impossible. As expected, stuck in his gaze and newly in love, Priya gave a vague nod.

He took a step and applied the blue color to her cheek, mouthing, "Happy Holi!"

She smiled awkwardly in response. The way he was looking at her made her feel giddy. At moments, his eyes threatened to read her thoughts, and she feared she'd reveal everything.

He kept looking at her, so she bobbed her head, gesturing for him to go to the pandal.

"Aur mujhe?" Ram stopped her.

The thought of applying his color made her jittery. But why was she acting like a teen? Why was she thinking so much? It's holi, just some color, and her Mr. Kapoor. She took a breath and nodded again while he helped her hold the plate so she could apply the color.

He saw her face turn crimson despite the blue color he had applied and smiled to himself. Priya could blush or shy away, which was a surprise to him. This is going to be fun.

Told you, wasn't it easy? She told herself, after applying the color, that she was relieved only until she saw him again. It felt like he was reading her through her eyes, and she averted her gaze, asking him to head out.

"Mr. Kapoor, let's—"

"Noooo!" he cried. "You're still calling me that."

She shrugged.

"Earlier, it was fine. Actually, no. Yet I let it go. Now... now things have changed between us. It'll be so weird to address your boyfriend as Mr. Kapoor," he rambled, complaining.

"Boyfriend?" Her eyes popped out. "You are not my boyfriend."

"Um, no." He shook his head. "I am your boyfriend. In case you forgot, you just proposed to me." He checked his watch—"precisely thirteen minutes ago."

She clasped the plate tighter. "I only asked if you wish to marry me."

"And that is exactly what a proposal is," he replied.

"But..." her voice trailed off.

"Priya." He stepped closer to her. "You proposed; I agreed. Simple."

"You wanted it first," she defended. "Ya, this filmy thing, the proposal, it was all your idea."

"And I am not denying that," he smiled, then kept aside the color plate she held and got down on one knee, pulling out a velvet jewelery box, which seems bigger than a usual ring box.

She couldn't react, despite this not being a surprise to her. She had suspected his plans last night. A while ago, even Shivina confirmed it, yet she didn't unprepared.

She felt unreal and thought she had zoned out, imagining things, until he began to speak.

"I know you hate movies and Valentine's. All this is too cheesy. Phir bhi," he paused briefly. "Toh, Ms. Priya No Sood, kya tum apne Mr. Kapoor ki Mrs. Kapoor banogi?"

Her eyes filled with tears, and she made every attempt to hold them back. She wasn't among the girls who cry over such things. Already, she had asked him to marry her in a trembling voice, and that was enough. Thus, she extended her hand, smiling at him, as answer.

She said yes. A while ago, she asked for marriage and has now agreed to his proposal. Ram was on cloud nine. Happy. Emotional. All the fluttery emotions, but mostly full. He didn't know one yes could fill the void and bring him so much joy.

He smiled back, his eyes turning watery, and took her hand into his. He fumbled a bit opening the box and holding her hand, frequently glancing at her with a smile.

"Maa's bangles," he mumbled while sliding it into her hand and Priya burst into tears.

She thought she'd be tough and wouldn't cry like other girls, but he hot her his mother's bangles. How could she hold back now?

"Arey?" He stood up immediately and fetched a tissue from his pocket. As she dabbed the tissue on her face, he said, "I now must upgrade my joke."

She glanced at him, confused.

"Ram ke tissues par likha hain roti Priya ka naam."

She paused to look at him, like, is he for real? then let out a chuckle.

He too giggled along with her.

"I'm not a crybaby," she asserted after a minute.

"Of course! Tum crybaby thodi ho," he said, carefully inserting, "ab toh tum meri girlfriend ho."

She flared her nostrils, stuttering, "Aap... aapka kuch nahi ho sakta," then took the platter and rushed out, fighting a bashful smile while he followed her.

From an almost hit-and-miss on a stormy rainy night when both of them, then strangers, fought with each other for sharing an auto ride to now willingly choosing each other to share their lives with, Ram and Priya came a long way.

● THE END ●