31. Bade Achhe Lagte Hain

"OH MY GOD!!" Sara gasped as soon as she entered into Priya's room. "Am I dreaming? What did you do to my khadoos sister?"

Priya eyed her sister.

"Told you, if you take some efforts to dress up, you won't look less than Manish Malhotra's models," she giggled while carefully keeping the suit bag on the bed. She arrived at the dressing table and rummaged in her purse to find a suitable shade of lipstick for her sister who was so affected by people's judgments that she stopped getting ready years ago.

"Di..." Priya made face seeing the compact and lipstick.

"Shh!" she scolded her and ordered to stand still while she applies some minimal makeup on her.

"I'm starting to worry for Ram," Sara chuckled.

Priya eyed her sister to show disagreement but her cheeks had a tinge of faint crimson colour.

Sara hugged her from behind and added, "I'm very happy to see you like this, Priya."

After Sara left the room, Priya paused and stared at herself in the mirror. Her eyes crinkled admiring her pretty self. Her pretty smile.

They say looks doesn't matter. She doesn't believe it. It's particularly difficult when you have been constantly looked down for your appearance. Besides how is one supposed to believe when the people stating above are often with "good" looks, "flawless" skin, "perfect" physique and has sense of fashion? Never once she had heard anyone unhappy with his appearance say this. Truthfully privilege, money can make you more attractive which helps in boosting confidence and be more comfortable in your skin — which by the way isn't wrong and it's your hard earned money. Not to forget, appearance is the first thing you notice and your mind registers the details forming an opinion — good or bad.

To her, mann-ki-sundarta was the biggest cliches glorified by movies and stories. And even if any such thing exists, it takes time to realise it. One needs to spend time and know someone to see beyond and feel this beauty. Again, it's not merely the looks in this case. Sometimes it's the toothy smile while cracking simple jokes, or the shine in the eyes while talking about favourite person or sometimes even food. Or few hair strands slipping off and falling on forehead while laughing, or just humming favourite song while driving. You notice these little details and experience beauty. This is what one truly falls for.

At least her.

The unappealing appearance didn't let her like herself, or left room to like anyone else. Her beliefs didn't entirely change until people around her did. People who managed to show her the wider picture, different perspectives, different men. Sir and Neeraj had made her feel worse but it hardly mattered anymore.

She had found a heart invested in her who thought she's beautiful. And she realized beauty has less to do with appearance and more about how one feels, one is made to feel.

And it was enough.

In past few months, she had caught herself multiple times smiling in the mirror. She had begun to feel worthy and liked liking herself the way she was. She believed getting ready for oneself is lie, but it wasn't. Every jewellery she wore, in every angle she saw herself, she felt awe and wondered why didn't she see herself like this before?

"Thanks to you, Mr. Kapoor. It's you that I've began to like myself", she admitted, admiring her pretty smile one more time.

****

Ram pushed in the half open door and his feet stopped at the doorway.