Chapter 9: Intelligence Amongst Hatred

***Flashback***

Naruto's eyes widened as two ANBU, similar to the four that had jumped him before his mission to Wave, appeared behind Hinata and Haku and put cloths over their faces causing them to immediately go unconscious. "What the hell did you do!" He got into his fighting stance and prepared for anything.

"Careful boy. We wouldn't want to have to hurt these two to get you to comply. We told you that Danzo-sama gets what he wants. Now will you come quietly or do you need to be further motivated." One of the masked men threatened. Naruto gritted his teeth. He couldn't allow the two girls to be hurt, but he really didn't want to see a guy that was willing to go this far for just a simple chat. His internal conflict took too long for the two men's taste it seemed and he looked on in horror as they each took out a syringe and injected its contents into each of the girls.

"That was a slow acting poison. If you comply and come along nicely they'll get the antidote and there will be no harm done. If not...well lets just say you won't find a cure fast enough." Swallowing whatever pride he had left and throwing his danger sense to the wind he nodded his head. He soon found himself slightly restrained by one of the men while the other tied the two girls up inside the apartment. He was then led through the village and eventually blindfolded before they entered into a tunnel system that wound around itself and branched off many times before coming to an underground building complex. The only sign that he was now underground was the dripping water on the stone floors as they traveled. His blindfold was then ripped off and he was finally able to confirm his surroundings. "Danzo-sama is waiting for you inside. He's not a very patient man and he has been lenient with you so far. I wouldn't make him wait much longer."

Taking the hint, Naruto entered the building they stopped in front of the desk inside to find an older man standing with his back wide open, staring at a map of Fire country. "So you're Danzo I assume. Guess there's no chance you'll give me the antidote and we call it a day is there?"

"You know I am a man with ambitions Naruto-kun, and as any person with ambitions knows, we require tools to see those ambitions come to fruition."

"I take that as a no then." He knelt on the floor but stayed ready for anything just in case. There were more than a few people in the village that didn't like him. For all he knew this one wanted him dead.

Danzo turned to him with an amuse smile that didn't quite look right on his face. "I seek such tools for myself and for the good of Konoha. For the safety of this village I have sacrificed much, and I intend to see to it that this village is kept secure."

"By threatening children with the death of their friends. I can see how all of this is for the safety of Konoha."

Danzo's smile vanished. "I know what is inside of you boy. I also know that if you can harness its power that you would be one of the strongest shinobi ever. I seek to help you learn how to control what is inside of you so that we can use it to wipe out those who would conspire against us. It's those lackadaisical fools on the council and that senile old man running this farce of a ninja village that would not allow me to train you properly. Under my tutelage you would have been ten times the ninja you are today. I know how you strive for attention. I know how no one acknowledged you in your classes. You should not have been tossed to the side like a disposable rag. You should have been fine tuned and surpassed even the jōnin of this village by now. Instead you were left to fend for yourself with no one to care for you. Even going so far as to hiding for long periods of time to keep yourself safe. I applaud you by the way for evading my operatives for over a month. Not many could do that, and with your academy level I am rather shocked at such a feat, but it only serves to show what potential you have. Let us show you that potential and we will lead you farther than you could imagine."