Chapter 24: A Hero's Welcome

It had been nearly a month now, but finally the familiar gates of Konoha were back in sight. The scars left on the walls from the invasion were still very noticeable from the large discolored patched that now marked its surface. Even Tsunade managed a flinch at the thought of what had happened to her former home. As they approached she couldn't help but wonder if her traitorous teammate would have been less inclined to take such action if she had been where she was supposed to be instead of running around to various gambling dens. As they passed through the main gates she solidified her determination once more. These people didn't understand what she'd lost. They never would, so how could she live amongst them...

She was coerced from her thoughts as a squad of ANBU landed in front of the group. "Lady Tsunade, your presence is required at the council chambers immediately."

Jiraiya was the first to reply, but only with a mumble. "Oh that's a great way to welcome her..."

Tsunade herself blinked, then blinked again. "I'm sorry, well not really, but you can tell them that they are going to be sitting there for a long time if this is how they plan on getting my attention. Maybe had they taken the effort to walk here themselves I might have given them a proper welcome. Now, I have things to do so unless you are planning to try to force me to come along," She paused to crack her knuckles. "I suggest you carry that message back to them."

'Yeah like you're one to talk about being proper.' Naruto thought as he rolled his eyes at her.

"Shizune, let's go. We're going to the hospital. The sooner we get this over with the sooner we can leave." Without waiting for affirmation, Tsunade began to stalk towards the medical sector. Noticing her mood, the majority of the population was giving her a wide birth while remaining polite in the presence of the legendary kunoichi.

"My apologies ANBU-san, but now is probably not the best time to pursue such things. Give her some time to calm down and I'm sure she'll be willing to visit with the council soon." Shizune bowed before racing off after her mentor. She had her own agenda though, and she was going to see it through.

"Well I guess that leaves you and me kid. Let's go grab a bite to eat and we'll see about setting up another training schedule for you." Jiraiya started to walk off, but the leading ANBU stopped him.

"Actually, Jiraiya-sama, we have been asked to bring you to the council if Tsunade-sama was unwilling to come."

"Well at least they're starting to actually think ahead a little." The sannin mumbled. "I don't suppose I can get a pass on this too?"

"Sorry Jiraiya-sama, but we need at least one of you to handle the debriefing."

"How about the gaki? He was there for the whole trip, so I'm sure they could get what they need to hear out of him."

The ANBU paused a short moment and looked at the boy before turning back. "No, we require a ranking ninja for the debriefing, not a...genin."

Jiraiya narrowed his eyes at the man. "Are you saying that someone that has my approval is unfit to cover a mission report? That you would insult me as such..."

"It's fine Ero-Sennin. I need to get home anyway." Naruto announced from his spot on the sidelines.

The man's eyes looked sorrowful for a moment before turning into a lecherous grin. "I see where you're going kid. You've been away from them for so long, I bet your dying to get your hands on some of that young flesh." Before Naruto could respond he vanished from the spot, leaving the boy to grumble out his displeasure.

"Stupid perverts and their one track minds. Just wait till I get a hold of you I'll..." Whatever his plans for the hermit would be were lost as his volume dropped off.