Chapter 23: While You Were Gone

This chapter is a collection of shorts of some of what was happening while Naruto was away. Enjoy.

"Harusada Tenten!"

The group flinched at the tone of the gruff voice, but none more than the girl belonging to the shouted name. "H-hai, father." Slightly afraid, the girl turned towards the man as he came striding up to the group.

"You disobeyed me last night Tenten. I am very disappointed in you." Nawa Harusada crossed his arms as he reached them and stood facing his daughter with obvious disapproval in his eyes.

"It was just a sleep over dad! You're always telling me I should make more friends."

"I meant decent friends." As soon as the words left his mouth he realized the implications he had just made as the rest of the group took a step forward and crossed their arms. The glares he got would have been enough to put a raging bull into a fear induced coma, but he stood firm. A ninja he may not be, but he'd be damned before a bunch of teenaged girls got the better of him. "I of course don't mean your current company, but rather..."

"Naruto-kun." Tenten finished for him flatly, obvious distaste for his attitude dripping from her voice. "Exactly what is it that you have against him dad?"

"W-well, I've heard all kinds of stories about him and how he treats others. I'm just doing my job as your father and looking out for you honey." He tried to soften his eyes to calm her down, but it was rather difficult with her glare pinning him in place.

"And just what stories did you hear, Mr. Harusada?" Ino tapped her foot expectantly.

"How about how he slaughtered a bunch of civilians recently? Even the ninja that come to the shop are talking about it all the time." He puffed up his chest at the mention of his store. As a weapon smith, he held great pride in his work.

"How about how those civilians were trespassing and trying to steal his property? How about how he left most of them alive and only killed those that broke some law the Sandaime made that calls for death upon breaking it. How about how those civilians outside the property were calling for his death for rightfully defending his home?!" Haku shot back with such fury that the man was forced to take a step back in surprise.

"W-well...they didn't mention that...What about how he keeps pranking all the stores in town and random people?"

"What about how those were the people that wouldn't let him shop in their stores to begin with! What about how those are people that used to beat him. What about how that was his way of practicing his ninja skills since no one would spare their time to teach him!" Hinata called out, surprising not only the smith, but her companions as well.

"What about..."

"Just give it up dad! He's not some monster and no matter how deep you dig you won't hit any dirt."

"Well he's still a boy, and I know how boys think and act because, believe it or not, I was a young boy once too." The elder Harusada had to hide the hurt that came from the few disbelieving looks he got.

"Ano, Harusada-san. Naruto wouldn't and has never done such a thing to any of us. Haku-chan, Kin-san and myself all live with him and he has done nothing but respect us." Hinata looked downcast a little at the memory of just how far from the truth the man was. Back when they had managed to put the blond in the hospital due to their own aggressive pursuit of him. As the three others who were involved in the event caught on to her thoughts, they too looked down as they remembered the shame in their actions.

Ino spoke up softly, just loud enough for those in the immediate vicinity to hear. "Sir, Naruto-kun is not your typical adolescent male. Because of what he's been through in life, he doesn't act like a true teenager most of the time. Sure he will kiss and flirt a little, but that's as far as it has ever gone with him, and all the farther he is willing to go for a long time."