Chapter 25: To Be a Chūnin

Life was different for the girls now that Naruto was back, at least a little bit. For one, the Hyūga stopped trying to talk to Hinata through the gate. They would still try to corner er on the streets every once in awhile, but never when Naruto was around. Likewise, since his presence was a reminder of the event at his estate and as such the civilians tended to shy away from him a bit more rather than confront him or yell out their insults. Apparently killing a few of them had managed to at least make them a little wary of him, after all it wasn't smart to taunt a demon. On the other hand, some of the people whose family and friends he had only injured seemed to be a little more tolerant at least. He even managed to slip himself and the girls into a restaurant the day after he'd gotten background

Naruto was still a little angry after hearing what all had happened to them while he was away, but there wasn't anything he would be able to do about it at the moment. Nor was he happy about Haku and Kin being moved onto a team with Kiba, but again there was little he could do. At least Kakashi wouldn't allow anything to happen to them. Despite the man's tardiness, he was a capable ninja. That only left him a couple things to do during the day since everyone was busy. Option one was to train. Option two was to do solo missions again. He decided to settle for both and went back to his previous strategy of doing D-ranks with shadow clones, only this time he studied while they worked if the missions were easy enough. Considering there were still some repairs going on that clones were more than enough for, he managed to get a lot of study time in.

Today he planned on doing the same. Sure it was tedious, but it got him money to support his living expenses. However, upon nearing the mission building he was stopped as a chakra signature closed in. "How may I help you ANBU-san?" He glanced over at a nearby tree where an otter-masked ninja was looking at him. After watching each other for a couple minutes he was about to ask again when the man decided to speak up.

"Uzumaki Naruto, you are to come with me to report to the council chambers immediately."

"Well if you wanted me to come immediately, don't you think you should have said something sooner?"

"...Let's go" Without another word the man shunshinned away.

"Typical." Shrugging the obvious insult off he shoved his hands in his pockets and walked casually towards the council building. It barely took a couple minutes due to the fact that it was so close to the mission hall, but that didn't seem to matter much to some of the occupants who decided to glare at him as he came into the room.

"Well, now that the final one has decided to grace us with his presence, I suppose we can get this over with now." Hiashi didn't even bother to keep the contempt out of his voice, not that Naruto really cared.

"So sorry for the long wait I must have given you all, but had the ANBU that decided to finally let me know I was being summoned had decided to grace me with a shunshin as he left I may have made it here a few minutes sooner."

"We sent that messenger out half an hour ago boy."

"I guess he must have never thought to look for me on the main road that leads from my estate, directly to the mission hall. Of course is didn't help matters that he decided it would be a great time for an impromptu staring contest when he did find me. Maybe next time you'll send a competent operative to notify me of any future meetings." It was rather obvious that tensions were still high between the two.

"If you two are finished flexing your egos, lets get this over with. I have better things to do then be here right now."

Hearing the familiar voice to his side, near the head of the table, he looked to find Tsunade throwing them her own glare before indicating him towards the wall behind him. Turning around he now saw there were a few others in the room that weren't normally there.