Chapter 25

STEFANO POV

Why would the Russians wipe out a local gang to protect her?

This question has been running through my head from the moment I went into my office. My hands were running through my hair.

What did Dimitri see in her that he was willing to go that far to get her? Jeda said he claimed his son saw her in a fight and saw potential in her.

She was an excellent fighter since her youth and he could use that strength, but why not just force her to join as he did with many other men. Threaten her family and force her to train and become part of his empire.

It just made no sense.

Just the peer fact that Dimitri would show up at her house in person to offer the deal made no sense. What did he truly want with her?

Going onto my computer, I looked up her old house to see the shithole falling apart. Jeda was one strong girl to be able to survive in a neighborhood like that basically on her own in her adolescence.

But the real question is if Dimitri was still keeping tabs on her if he knew she was here.

Maybe he wasn't tracking her anymore after what happened with Jerad.

But if he was, then he knew Jerad was one of us. He could have easily caught her when she was away from the house, and brought her to his territory. We never would have suspected that was who took her if Jerad even said anything to us about her disappearance.

It would have made more sense. She hated Jerad. All Dimitri had to do was tell her he was part of the Italian mafia and she would have instantly hated all of us for what he did to her.

What was his plan here?

My thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door.

"Come in," I mutter and turn my computer off, grabbing the papers in front of me to look busy.

I look up as the door opens to see Richard walking in.

"Meetings going to start soon, you ready?" He asks and I nod my head. I grab the files off the desk and then walk towards the door.

"You looked deep in thought, something I should know about?" Richard asks and I pause before going out the door. I look over at him and he gives me a concerned look. "Is it something I should know about?"

"I will tell you about it later. We have to get this meeting started," I tell him and walk out the door.

I would figure that out later, but for now, I needed to focus on the task at hand.

* * *

JEDA POV

I sat at the kitchen table with my third beer in hand.

It had truly been too long since I had a drink considering I already had a buzz from such little alcohol.

"What are you doing out here?" A voice says and I jump not hearing their steps. I look at the door to see Richard walking in.

I lift the bottle and look back at the counter before taking another swig.

"Drinking all of the beer I see," he says leaning against the counter across from me. I look up at him and shrug.

"If you don't want me to drink it all then you should put a lock on the fridge because I have a feeling this lifestyle is going to make me drink way more than his a few beers," I joke and he cracks a smile. "Aren't you supposed to be in the meeting?"