Prologue: Finn

[ONE YEAR PRIOR]

"Finnegan Fox. Open wide, baby."

I couldn't help but smirk, shutting my eyes as rough fingers tugged on the back of my hair and yanked my head back. As requested, I blindly opened my mouth and accepted the waterfall of whisky poured down my throat.

"Good girl," Jack playfully praised, patting my cheek roughly as I lifted my head and swallowed, scrunching my face at the harsh taste. The familiar burn in my chest was greatly appreciated as I reached out to take the handle of Jack Daniels. Jack grinned, surrendering it. "Opening night, baby. "

I took another generous swig from the bottle, attempting to distract from the incessant pounding coming from the pest of an organ inside of me. The distant sound of chanting only fueled the uncomfortable hammering in my chest as I set the bottle on the floor by my foot, picking up the guitar again.

I strummed, wincing at the sound. I continued to work my fingers, hearing more people come into the cramped dressing room as the liquor began to course its way through my bloodstream.

"Finny boy, how we feeling?" Pete mused, squeezing my shoulders to hype me up.

I took my time answering, shutting my eyes and enjoying the rough massage. I was feeling a hell of a lot of things, given that it was the opener of our first headlining tour in the city I grew up in. "Like I could shit myself."

Pete cackled, kneeling down to grab the Jack for himself. I smiled, a dazed feeling taking over my head as I observed the room around me. It felt surreal, like I was dreaming. I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that the passionate sounds drifting down the hallway were for us - that we were the main act, that we had two openers.

"This is fucking mental," I muttered, mostly to myself. "Cheers, boys."

One last shot warmed my throat as I passed the bottle around, standing up and jumping up and down to release some of the tension. Pete and Jack snuck out of the room just as Ace was walking in.

I avoided eye contact, turning around to plug in my phone and grab my inhaler. Unlike the other two, Ace could read me like a book. It was something I both liked and disliked about him, learning that as time passed, I liked to keep my two personalities separate.

I took a puff, inhaling deeply.

"You look nervous, mate."

"I'm good," I responded as I exhaled, glancing over my shoulder at him. He nodded reassuringly, making me feel like a child.

"It'll be sick, don't stress."

"Not stressed," I grumbled, running my fingers through my hair and tugging at the roots slightly. "I just, my fucking dad is here."

I felt my cheeks heat, feeling stupid for admitting the real reason I was so on edge. He nodded in understanding, clapping me on the back as I picked up the bottle and took one final swig. I could feel my body loosen even more, knowing I'd hit the spot I needed to be in.

Our manager, Harrison, popped his head into the room, a wide smile on his face. "Let's go boys, they're ready."

With one final exaggerated exhale, I motioned for Ace to walk out ahead of me.

"Ladies first."

-

"Do you have a light?"

Blonde hair, green eyes, a devilish smirk. I shivered, my thin t-shirt not standing a chance in the Fall air. She stepped outside to join me on Jack's small balcony, shutting the door behind her. The party was in full swing on the other side of the glass door, music pumping through the wall I was leaning against.