Seven

[RORY]

I rounded the ridiculously full display table at the front of the boutique, eyeing the assortment of candles. Straw between my lips, I sipped my iced coffee and perused the different colors and scents. Seeing one that was a shade of green that I liked, I picked it up and sniffed - scrunching my nose and setting it back down.

I could hear my mom and Cal talking amongst themselves a bit further back in the shop. I didn't have to see them to know they were at a clothes rack. While I was far more like my mom than my dad, I did not inherit her shopping addiction - but Cal definitely had. Unfortunately when she'd asked to spend the day with us both, my suggestion to go to the beach was out-ruled.

"Sweetheart, come here."

I followed my mom's voice and found her and Cal looking at a floral mini dress. When they spotted me, she held it up towards my body. "See what I'm saying? That would look so nice."

Cal nodded enthusiastically in agreement, the pair of them acting like I wasn't standing right in front of them.

"Try it on, honey," she pressed, pushing it towards my hands. "This would look so nice with your skin tone and it'll show off your legs."

I didn't accept the hanger, causing Cal to roll her eyes dramatically. My mom's coral stained lips shifted into a frown and I knew I hadn't heard the end of it. "Rory..."

"Mom, that's like, the least me thing I've ever seen," I laughed, shaking my head adamantly. I chewed on the straw, eyeing the patterned fabric. "It looks like a garden threw up."

"Oh my god," Cal groaned, busying herself and flipping through another rack. "Just try it on."

"Why would I try it on if I don't like it?"

"Because you dress like a boy and we're trying to help you," Cal matter-of-factly said, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. I hated that it still hurt my feelings, even though I'd heard the same thing from the two of them my entire life. "You always wear those pants."

"What's wrong with my pants?" I defensively responded, glancing down at the cream and black checkered jeans. "They're cool, sorry they're not hot pink and covered in flowers."

My mom and Cal continued to make their argument, but a vibration in my back pocket pulled me from the truly invigorating conversation. I pulled out my phone, drowning them out.

Don't be silly, the studio is so far. I'll be home in a bit, why don't you swing round?

I chewed on my cheek, considering my options. I hadn't noticed that my company had gone quiet. I began to type a response, finally picking up on the awkward silence. I pulled my gaze up, seeing that my mom was still looking around while Cal was smirking at me.

"Can I help you?"

"Who do you keep texting?" She pressed, trying to look at my screen. I pulled it towards my chest, raising my eyebrows at her in challenge. As if on cue, I felt it vibrate in my hand with another new message. "You keep smiling at your phone."

"No I don't."

"Who is it?"

"If it was any of your business, I'd tell you it's a guy from work asking to borrow a hard drive," I retorted, lying through my teeth. "But it's not your business, so I won't tell you that."

"I don't buy it."

I ignored my nosy pest of a sibling, peeking at the screen.

Promise I won't bite.

"You don't have to," I replied without looking at her, typing a response. "And I don't like that dress so I am not trying it on."

"Well, I think your work friend would probably appreciate seeing you in something fitted for once," she responded, smiling to herself as she looked at a different rack. "A little birdie told me he won't shut up about your legs."

GreyOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara