Eleven

[RORY]

The light summer breeze fueled the warmth radiating in my chest as I took in the scene around me. We were seated outside under a blanket of fairy lights and greenery, pitchers of Margaritas chilling on the table. Cal and Marnie were to my immediate right, Em and Bryce to my left, as well as a few old friends from school. An assortment of Mexican dishes had been ordered and I was content - just full enough, just tipsy enough, just relaxed enough.

Many years of trial and error seemed to have paid off and I was thankful that Cal had willingly passed the reins to Em. My sister always meant well but her pushy tendencies also applied to my birthday planning - I rang in 23 years in a club surrounded by strangers with bottle service and house music blasting all night. The festivities ended in the parking lot as a vodka-induced screaming match ensued, culminating in agreement that her services would no longer be needed.

The day had been a good one and I felt hesitantly hopeful that 24 would be a good year. It had been full of swimming in my mom's pool, and tanning, and eating, and thrifting, and napping, and music, and my favorite people.

I knew I had no right to feel any disappointment, but the only thing missing had been a call from the one person I shouldn't have wanted a call from. I'd woken up to my alarm and a text that had come in at exactly midnight, wishing me the most special day. I knew that alone was more than I should have expected, hating that any part of me had the audacity to think otherwise.

"Did you have a nice day?"

Em's quiet question in my ear only confirmed how much of a brat I was being to think anything could have possibly made the day any better. I gave her a genuine smile, nodding to further my point.

"It was great, thank you," I hummed, eyeing the waiters filtering around skeptically. "No singing, right? Promise me no singing?"

She laughed as Bryce poked his head around her, overhearing the conversation. "She gave strict orders that absolutely no singing was to happen in public. Trust me, I tried. When I snuck in first to talk to the hostess, she almost tackled me."

"Crisis averted," Em nodded proudly, hugging me from the side. I sipped my margarita as she gave an extra tight squeeze. "Happy Birthday, Rory."

After dinner, we slowly made our way back to the apartment for gifts, cake, no singing and more libations. Em and Bryce got me a new record player, Cal got me a new vibrator (and gave me no warning, to the dismay of the room), Marnie got me flowers and a card, and my other friends got me an assortment of gift cards and random things.

I felt beyond spoiled and was heading to the liquor cabinet to pass around a bottle of Patron when Em clapped her hands together and awkwardly shuffled me by the shoulders in a different direction.

"Sorry, Rory. Party is over at 9," she gave a sheepish smile. "Remember, I have to be up super early for work tomorrow."

I wracked my brain for any memory of the conversation, coming up empty. I was going to promise to keep the noise at a reasonable level and let Em and Bryce excuse themselves, but was confused to see that even Cal and Marnie were going to grab their purses.

"Oh boo," I muttered, eyeing everyone getting their stuff. "It's only 9. Cal, why are you leaving?"

She gave me a tight-lipped smile, shrugging her shoulders. "I went a little too hard last night so going to crash early. We can have a wine night later this week?"

"Sure."

I wasn't upset and didn't ever crave a party but I was a little bewildered at the mass exodus. I said my goodbyes and gave out hugs, shutting the front door and walking into the kitchen. Bryce was in the bathroom - brushing his teeth, I assumed - but Em was still there, leaning against the counter with crossed arms and a mysterious smile.