Thirty-Nine

[RORY]

I could hear Marisol before I saw her, her stilettos echoing against the marble floors with each step. While the sound was nothing new, it was especially loud given that we were the only two people in the office.

I glanced up as she neared with a colorful bouquet in her arms and the kind of smile that confirmed she hadn't bought them for herself.

"Surprised to see you here at 6pm on Valentine's Day," she smirked, raising her eyebrows. I knew what she was implying and I didn't take the bait, the reminder anything but welcome. "I run a tight ship but this is a bit much, even for me. Get out of here."

"I will, I'm just finishing up," I nodded, twirling my pen in my hand. "Those are pretty."

She glanced down at the elaborate display of affection, the dazed smile she'd been sporting off and on all day returning.

"They are, aren't they? I think I'll keep this one around a bit longer," she winked at me. "Have a nice evening, Rory. Don't spend it here."

While Marisol may have had a point, I watched her back as she walked away and didn't feel any compulsion to follow. I didn't feel antsy like most of my colleagues, chomping at the bit to slip out early and run last minute errands. I didn't have plans to get to, or someone waiting at home. I would not be receiving pretty flowers, or a teddy bear, or chocolates, or expensive champagne, or even a kiss.

As much as I loathed everything Valentine's Day stood for, the fact of the matter was that it was magnifying just how much I was missing a certain person - the only person who could make the stupid holiday somewhat bearable.

I sighed, looking around at the empty, dark cubicles. The awful fluorescence lit mine up like a Christmas tree, visually capturing just how lonely I truly felt - if I allowed myself to accept it. I sighed, gathering my things and taking my time. I walked slower than usual to my car, tossing my bag into the passenger seat before climbing in and shutting the door.

More silence.

Chewing my cheek, I pulled out my phone. I knew Em and Bryce would have plans and I figured I'd spend the evening by myself, as I would on any of their date nights, though it was becoming increasingly apparent I'd given myself too much credit.

Cal picked up on the last ring.

"Hi sissy."

"Hi," I responded, careful with my choice of words. "How are you?"

"I'm good, I'm good." I could hear the smile in her voice, fueling my suspicions that I'd for sure be spending the evening alone. "How are you, my dear? I know you hate today but you don't have to pretend if you're feeling sad."

"I'm okay," I lied through my teeth, staring blankly ahead. "I was just going to see if you had plans tonight, I'm kind of in the mood to order in and watch a movie."

"That sounds splendid but I'm going to have to ask for a rain check," she hummed in the same sing-song tone Marisol had. "I have...plans."

"Mystery boy strikes again."

She giggled like a school girl. "He isn't a mystery, I'm just trying something new. It's sexy, my little secret."

"That's the definition of a mystery."

"Well, fine. Mystery boy and I have plans, I'm sorry."

I groaned. "Lame. Okay, well. Have fun."

"Do something nice for yourself, Rory. Order yourself dinner, on me."

The offer was kind but it made me feel even more pathetic than I already did. I politely declined, wishing her a good night and getting off the phone before she had a chance to question how I was doing again.