Fifteen

[RORY]

Sunday morning felt like a weird fever dream - the kind where everything is going so well but you have this sick feeling in the pit of your stomach, knowing it's all about to come crashing down - but then somehow, it doesn't.

I'd gotten up early, something strangely out-of-character for me, by choice. The sun was barely visible over the hills and I thought it would be nice to have coffee and sit outside. As I was sipping the hot liquid, in comfortable contrast to the slight chill in the crisp morning air, I wondered why I didn't do it more often. The only sound that could be heard was the occasional chirping of birds in the trees as I swung my feet over the side of the balcony, staring out at all of the scattered homes.

For once in a long time, I was looking forward to my week.

The sliding glass door opened behind me but I didn't turn around, just shutting my eyes and smiling to myself. I heard footsteps, bare feet padding over and appearing next to me.

"This is a new Rory, who is she?"

"She's sorry she was such a bitch last night."

Em crouched down, joining me as she let her legs hang over too. "I like her, she can stay."

"Did you have fun last night?"

"Yeah, it was good..." she trailed off mysteriously as I glanced over. My jaw dropped seeing the look on her face, the flush of her cheeks. "Yes."

"It finally happened, didn't it?"

She covered her face as I nudged her.

"Wait no, Em, how was it?" We were both giggling like embarrassing teenagers. "Did he take you to o-town?"

"Rory," she laughed, scoffing before giving in and nodding. "Twice."

"Atta boy. Wow, this is big. Was it big?"

"Rory."

"Was it?"

"It's nice, yes. I mean, you know we've done other stuff."

"True. Wow, you're a new woman," I sipped my coffee, staring off into the distance. She was quiet, providing me the perfect segue into a different topic. "I, uh. Also have some... news."

I glanced over, swallowing the nervous lump in my throat as she looked at me expectantly.

"I'm, uh. I'm going out of town next weekend..." The smile on her face confirmed I didn't have to finish my sentence, but I did anyway. "To visit Finn."

I couldn't help my own smile as she squealed, squeezing my arm. I muttered an ow under my breath, trying my best to appear casual and clearly failing miserably.

"Um, tell me everything, Rory. You're glowing."

"Okay calm down," I laughed, blushing more. "It's not that big of a deal, he just invited me awhile ago and then he brought it up again last night and I don't know. I said yes."

Her eyes were wide, lips frozen in a contained grin. "Hello, Rory. This is huge."

"Don't say that," I gently scolded, avoiding her excited gaze. "I don't want to overthink it."

"You like him, Rory."

"Em, stop."

"You want to hug him."

"Em."

"You want to loooove him."

"Em."

"You want to kisssssss him."