Thirteen

[FINN]

I dodged puddles as I jogged to the next overhang, squeezing against the brick building. The rain was pelting down, the scene one I'd usually enjoy except I didn't know New York City very well and I was lost. I looked down at my phone to see if I was nearing the right pub, subconsciously nodding to myself realizing it was just across the street.

Not quite ready to combat the monsoon, I leaned back against the wall and dug around in my pocket. I hated to admit it but I missed my Marlboros, placing the electronic pen between my lips as I used both hands to send a quick text.

Heading in now, it should only be an hour or two. Pencil me in for a phone call after? Pretty please?

I took a hit, enjoying the warmth in my chest as I exhaled and prolonged my forced shower as long as I could. My hair was wet and for once, stayed out of my face when I pushed it back. The summer evening was not a cold one but with damp clothes and a light breeze, I was shivering.

I was taking another hit as my phone vibrated in my hand.

You don't have to ask first. 

My cheek was between my teeth as I chewed mindlessly, hoping I was misreading Rory's tone. The memory of the night we'd spent together was engrained in my mind, playing on repeat throughout the days since. While we hadn't discussed anything, something had shifted that day for me. I hoped she felt the same but was too afraid to ask, too afraid that she'd slip through my fingers.

I took one last hit before shoving my phone back in my pocket and making a run for it.

Neon store signs lit up the gloomy evening, reflecting off of the pools of water my boots slapped against. I made it to the other side, approaching the bouncer who looked far less than thrilled to be standing out in the rain.

"ID?"

"Yeah, 'course."

"Oh, wait."

I'd gone to dig out my wallet but froze, recognizing his tone. I awkwardly smiled as he grinned back, unhooking the rope to let me in.

"Nice to meet you, man. Have a good one."

"Likewise, thanks."

It was crowded. I did my best to be discreet and keep my head down, knowing the chances of being approached were probably low but also not in the mood for small talk. As I neared the back of the bar and spotted the familiar face, warmth engulfed my entire body.

Her entire face lit up as she set her wine glass down, standing up from the barstool and nearly choking me in a hug. She squeezed me tightly and I couldn't help but smile, not realizing how much seeing her would feel like home.

"Finnegan."

"Annabelle."

My sister and her new boyfriend were taking a few weeks to traipse about the U.S., starting in New York. While I was quietly thrilled to see Anna, I was exhausted and not on my A-game to be sizing up Jake. Things had been hectic ever since my 24-hour cross-country trip and I'd barely been getting any sleep, let alone time to prepare for my interrogation.

"Be nice, I like him," Anna warned in my ear as I chuckled.

"Best behavior, promise," I mumbled in response, her eyebrows raised as she let me go. I made a show of my crossed fingers I'd had behind her back, grinning as she rolled her eyes. Jake was seated at the high-top as I brushed past Anna, offering my hand.

"Hey man, Finn."

"Jake," he exhaled, nodding his head with a smile. We shook hands briefly and naturally, I held on just a bit tighter than usual. "Nice to meet you, mate. Big fan of your stuff."