Chapter 9

Remi

Jen and I sat in the far back together, Jen's head resting on my shoulder as she slept peacefully. Every now and then I'd catch Dane's eyes with mine and send him a small smile before continuing to look out the window. "She's pretty." Parker says suddenly as he turns around in his seat to look at me. Nico and I growl at the same time. "I'm just stating facts." He defends himself.

"Yeah, well keep them to yourself." I snap. Parker turns around and huffs to himself. Nicos eyes linger for a moment.

"Can I tell you something when we stop?" He asks finally. My eyes follow his until they land on Jen.

"About?" I ask.

"You'll see." With that he turns around and says nothing else.

Dane decided it was getting too dark for us to continue back to the pack so we ended up stopping at a hotel about two hours away. Deciding not to wake Jen I get out of the car and lift her into my arms. "Do you want me to take her?" Dane asks. I growl and pull her closer. "Relaxe, the only girl I want is you." He winks and I roll my eyes.

"I need out!" Rose whines in my head.

"I know. I'm sorry." I think back. She whines then goes quiet. When Dane opens the door to the check in office a little bell rings loudly in my ears making my wince.

"You'll get used to it." Dane whispers to me. I scrunch my nose. I did not want to get used to that.

"Mitch!" A woman's voice yells. "We have guests!"

"I know that!" A man's voice yells back. Seconds later a woman with a huge smile on her face and very dyed red hair appears behind the counter. "Welcome! Can I get you a room?"

"No, we just came to say hi." Rose snaps, irritably. I fight the urge to laugh.

"Yes please." I say instead. "Preferably three rooms close to each other with two beds in each."

"Of course! Let me get my husband, he'll take you to your rooms. I'm Jill by the way."

"Nice to meet you." I smile. Jill disappears behind the counter just as the man I assume is her husband comes in.

"Who's paying?" He asks, right away.

"I am." Dane tells him.

"We only take cards. If you have a problem with that, you can leave." His eyes narrow on us.

"It's not a problem sir." I tell him.

"Good."

After Dane pays, Mitch leads us to our rooms, right next to each other. "That girl must've been really tired." He comments nodding towards Jen who's still sound asleep in my arms.

"We had a long drive." I tell him, shifting her in my arms. He grunts and hands us the keys.

"Check out is at elven. No sooner, no later." With that he leaves.

"He's very cheerful." I comment. Dane laughs and unlocks the door. Just as I go to close the door he stops me.

"I'm staying with you." He doesn't leave any room for arguments before he pushes himself in and closes the door.

"Why did you pay for three rooms then?" I ask, setting Jen down on one of the beds.

"I didn't. I paid for two. Parker and Nico are sharing." He tells me, plopping down on the other bed. I sigh and sit next to Jen, pulling her so she's resting against my side. "I can already see you as a mother. Caring for our pups." Dane whispers. I look up at him and laugh softly.

"Going a little fast there bucko."

"It's going to happen eventually. Why act like it's not?" He shrugs.

"Need out!" Rose whines. I swallow down the urge to growl as I feel her pushing herself forward.

"She's asking to run isn't she?" Dane asks. I nod and sink further into the bed. "You should."

"I can't leave Jen." I tell him. "She'll panic if she wakes up and finds that I'm gone again."

"I'll stay with her. Take one of the boys with you." Dane comments. "Not shifting for as long as you have isn't good for you Remi. Especially for new shifters." I look down at the peaceful Jen next to me.

"Please!" Rose begs.

"Fine." I sigh, as I slowly move Jen and stand. "I'll take Nico. He said he wanted to talk to me anyways."

"I'll be here when you get back." Dane smiles.

"Sadly." I mumble then laugh when he gives me a hurt look.

Nico opens the door before I even reach it. "Let's go." He says quickly.

"Okay?" I say, following him to the back of the building towards the woods. "Why the hurry?"

"Because I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to keep this a secret." He tells me. He starts taking off his shirt then his pants. I keep my eyes to the sky as I follow what he's doing.

"Shift!" Rose yips excitedly. Just as I pull my pants the rest of the way off I feel a pressure build in my chest then burst and find myself on all fours.

"You could have waited." I grumble to Rose. She ignores me and takes off in the woods, Nico following right behind. Rose leaps over bushes, fallen trees, a small stream, all until we reach a small clearing of flowers of all kinds. Then she lets me take control and shift back. "That was amazing." I breathe. Nico steps out from behind a tree, fully clothed, holding my clothes in his hands.

"You forgot to pick these up." He comments, handing them to me. "Your wolf must have been really antsy."

"Yeah." I mutter, pulling my shirt over my head. "So what is it you need to tell me?" I ask once I'm fully clothed.

"It's about Jen." He tells me, taking a seat beside me. I tense.

"What's about her?"

"Do you know anything about....mates?" He asks warily.

"I know that Dane and I are true mates, I know that a male wolf usually has to take a human to be their mate because of the lack of females, and I know that mates are very possessive of their females. That's about it." I tell him honestly. Nico takes a moment before asking the next question.

"Do you ever feel pulled towards Dane? Like you entire essence calls to him, yearns for his touch-"

"I really don't want to talk about this to you." I cut in.

"But do you?" He presses. I let out a breath and shake my head.

"Yes." I admit. "I do. Rose, my wolf, pushes me towards him. If it were up to her we probably would have mated by now."

"Most wolves don't wait very long to mate." Nico nods.

"What does any of this have to do with Jen?" I ask, not liking that I just poured out my feelings to him.

"Because..."He sighs. "I think she's my true mate." 

I kind of forgot to post a new chapter because I've been SUPER busy. Hope you all enjoyed!! -Koda122