Chapter 18

A shiver runs through my spine as I'm pushed into another dark, dirty room. Only this one has she-wolves in it, many of them raggedy and thin. Looking around the room ,and trying not to stare at any of the females for too long, I find that it looks just like an arena but indoors. When Hunter leaves, slamming the door behind him, causing most of the females to jump, I try my hardest to smile at all of them. "My name is Remington, but everyone calls me Remi." I announce softly. "I'm here to train you to be able to defend yourselves against...." I swallow and try to think of a way to tell them what I have to say without actually saying it. "A possible enemy." None of the she-wolves say anything, they just stare at me like I'm the weirdest thing they've ever seen. "Okay the first thing I'd like to do is get to know each of you. Let's start with names. Any volunteers?" One girl raises her hand in the back.

"I'm number 8725." She tells me. "But my mother called me Lucy."

"Okay." I smile, trying hard not to cry for each of these girls. "Anyone else?" It takes a few awkward moments before anyone else raises their hands.

"I'm number 9346." A red haired girl who looks to be about ten says shyly. "But mommy always calls me Star."

"We'll it's very nice to meet you, Star." I wink at her and she giggles. After that everyone finds the courage to tell me their names. Besides Lucy and Star there's Ramona, Layla, Fiona, Harbor, Grace, Hope, Lyra, and Mia. The youngest is Mia who, as far as her mother can tell, is six. The girls then rush into telling me everything they can about their lives, most of which makes me want to tear Cal to pieces.

When Hunter comes back to take each of us back to our cells I realize that we didn't even start our training. It's when Hunter brings me to Cal's room that I realize just how much trouble I'm in. As soon as Hunter leaves me standing in front of Cal, he slaps me hard across the face. Tears threaten to pour but I blink them away and turn my head to stare at Cal right in the eyes. "You were supposed to train them, not have a tea party." He growls.

"The only way I can train them is if they trust me." I snap back and immediately regret it when he slaps me again.

"Tomorrow you begin training or you're all dead." He threatens and snaps his fingers for Hunter to come back in. "Give her the pill and leave her in her cell. Without dinner." This time I don't push down my growl. He goes to slap me again but I dodge it, feeling a little of my strength returning. "Get her out of here!" He yells angrily. Hunter grapes me by my hair and drags me away, down the stairs and back to the cell I met Vivian in. When he throws me in he forces my mouth open and stuffs a blue pill down my throat, making me gag and swallow it. Immediately I feel my strength disappear and my eyes become heavy. Hunter chains me to the wall then kicks a sleeping Vivian and leaves. Vivian's eyes flutter open and she curses at Hunter so quietly I almost didn't hear her.

"Oh dear." She sighs tiredly at me. "Next time, fake it. Don't actually swallow that pill. It keeps you from being able to contact your mate or wolf and if we're going to get you out of here we need you at your full strength."

"G-get me out of here?" I pant, feeling the pills affect my scenes.

"You and the rest of the wolves in here." Vivian clarifies. "And the only way we can do that is if you can contact your mate and tell him to come get us." I can't concentrate on anything she's saying. "Those pills affect your link with your mate for about two months. So the sooner you can stop taking them the better."

"Vivian?" I mumble.

"Yes?" She answers.

"Shut up." And then I fall into a dreamless sleep.

I'm awoken by the sound of metal bars clanking together. When my eyes flutter open and take in the fact that Hunter is standing over me with a look of pure disgust, I can't help but growl at the disruption. "Don't growl at me beasty. You've been asleep for three days." He grunts. This jolts me awake.