Chapter 14: There's absolutely no way-

"I missed you... bestie" she said as she towered behind you, tapping the gun on your head with a specific rhythm.

"Joon-Hee...?" You asked, frozen in... what seemed like fear but in truth it was regret. Regret that lurked over your whole body as you kept your mouth from saying more.

"I was wondering whether or not you had amnesia or something- Turns out you still do remember me." She blatantly mentioned as you felt her moving closer to your ears, noticing how she bent her knees to whisper something in your ear. "Wanna know a secret?"

She walked in front of you as her fingers dangled strands of your hair. Suddenly she placed two of her fingers below your chin and pulled your face closer.

"I was ordered to kill you."

Your eyes reflected anxiousness as silence filled the room soon after she said that. It made sense that Brimstone or Viper would order the team to assassinate you. It's all part of the plan after all. But why'd they have to send Jett... Isn't that too cruel...?

She was filled with hatred. Anger? You suddenly remembered how the two of you would play this game called Monstus. A sort of murder mystery type of game where friends often played in groups and one of them was supposedly named the murderer. It was a game surrounding betrayal and lies so obviously some of you would often get riled up in arguments and fight about silly little lies they told each other to win the game.

It was fun. Only a few people knew this but, Jett never had the courage to kill you first when she was deemed the murderer. She would most often avoid you at all cost and more so than not, she would succeed without having to kill you in the game.

It's hard to look at her now. She looked as if she could gauge your eyes out if she wanted to... You thought she'd be at least sad... worried..? Maybe ask you for a reason before bursting out in anger and ultimately killing you. What happened to her...?

You did notice something though. Her eyes. She looked like she had been crying for the past few days. Even though the general puff in her eyes was overruled by her soulless stare, you still noticed it. She cried for you. it was clearly evident that she went through a lot with your sudden betrayal. But... you didn't understand how everyone suddenly hated you... Not even one of them... Questioned Viper's authority...

Hah... How silly... All this time, you thought they were your family but... In the end, they were only agents of the protocol.

"Shoot me." Those words just spilled out of your mouth. "Shoot me and let's call it even." You said as you looked up at her with a deliberate smile on your face.

Jett stared at you in shock and for a second there she might have remembered past memories of you and her dealing through squabbles like this.

'Let's stop fighting and make this fair and square.'

The eyes that glared at you with distaste now shifted into a softer expression. Her eyebrows flinched upwards for a second as if to show the compassion left on her face.

"Fine." She said right before raising her gun at you.

Once again you closed your eyes. Accepting your fate. It's not that bad to die in this world you live in anyway. It's not like you'll be dead forever. With Sage by your side, everyone in the protocol is practically immortal.

Jett's hands shivered as she pointed her gun at you. She bit her lip and hesitated. Staring at you for a while right before her gunshot fired straight... At her.

You open your eyes, startled at the sudden noise that went past your ears, quickly looking back to see Yoru running forward, exasperated.

"Y/N!" Yoru screamed as he rushed over to check your condition. He quickly kneeled down and hugged you right before he pulled you closer, plopping his head down onto your shoulder.

He quickly pulled away from you while concern was still evident on his face. "For fuck's sake! Why weren't you responding to me you fucking brat!" He screamed, spewing insults at you.

"Are you fucking stupid?! You're so weak and incompetent! Why did you just sit there and take it?? Surrendering so easily... Is such an idiotic move..."

He soon sighed to calm himself down. Looking over to you and seeing that you weren't hurt gave him a flush of relief...

'Why do you... always make him feel like this...? How come... Whenever it comes to you... He's always so riled up... How dare you.'

"Boke..." He whispered under his breath as his face showed red, flushed with anger and hatred. Although it was a bit strange... compared to Jett's... It didn't seem like hate at all...

You gaped your mouth open at the words that you've just heard come out of Brimstone. Is he crazy?!?!

"Why do you look like you both saw a ghost? Shouldn't you be happy...?" He looked at the both of you with a stern expression on his face. His arms folded as he stayed seated behind his desk.

Since you and Yoru succeeded in defending HQ all by yourselves, he decided to partner the both of you up in hopes of finding the only two agents who didn't have a duo yet a partner- He expected Yoru to be against it at all cost but it seems he's less volatile this time...

You were completely speechless... Why'd he have to choose the guy that you want absolutely nothing to be associated with?!?!

"Listen. As stupid as the old man sounds, he does have a point." Viper chimed in.

"We haven't seen Yoru co-ordinate as well as he has with Y/n. Usually, that arrogant little brat always likes to either go solo or manage to somehow sacrifice his teammates. Although, it seems he's quite smitten... with you." She said with a sly smirk on her face, directly pointing her finger at you.

Your cheeks flushed in embarrassment. "W-what! That's absurd! He.. He's just..."

You look over to Yoru. Eyeing him to help you out but he seemed to be quite flushed as well–surprisingly keeping his mouth shut as the look of discomfort covered his rose tinted cheeks, all while looking away from you in an attempt to hide his embarrassment.

You heard Sage giggle as she mumbled something under her breath.

In the end, you had no choice but to agree on having Yoru as your duo.

"From now on, I expect the both of you to perform well together, Ya hear me?" Viper said as she glared at the both of you.

You knew about this system before... It wasn't quite a shock to you but... Who would have expected Yoru, of all people, to be your duo???

There's absolutely no way in hell that you'll survive this world any longer if you work together with a duo... You remember it quite well from jett's experience. How annoying it is to have one. You remembered all the times she kept on complaining about how Phoenix and how she expected him to report to her at all times during battle... If you end up doing that- you're definitely screwed...!

"Arghh!" You moaned in annoyance. This just makes your job even harder now!!

Author's note: I haven't been writing as much as I had hoped lately but I hope you guys enjoy this chapter!! You may have noticed how my writing style changed very frequently, That's because of my influence. For some reason, whatever show or book I watch or read affects the way I talk and write a whole lot-

You guys may not have noticed it but a lot of the chapters were written with more precise words and wording before and I think it was because of how the Bridgerton characters talked- LMAOO but yeah-

OH! And one more thing!! I really really appreciate everyone's kind comments and votes!! It really does motivate me into thinking about the plot more often!! THANK YOUUUU <3333