Chapter 24 : He fell harder

"You know she likes you right?" He said blankly eating his croissant.

Phoenix laughed, placing his hand on Omen's shoulder. "Of course she does- Me and Jett are buddies" He said, oblivious to the fact that that wasn't what Omen meant to say.

Omen sighs deeply, his eyes exerting some sort of annoyance to his friend's dull way of thinking. "Well I tried." He said, shrugging his shoulders.

Almost everyone in the protocol knew of Jett's crush on Grant. Her sudden change of personality and her infectious laughter every time he was around wasn't really that hard to take into account. Somehow though, in some god forsaken way, the sweet chocolate boy never realized her affections as anything more than friendship.

Or so what most agents thought- Since he always acted unaware, everyone just brushed it off as him either genuinely not knowing or somewhat friendzoning her. But in reality... Grant definitely knew. It was really obvious so- how could he not???

Her laugh.. Her eyes, lips... She was like a fallen angel he could catch in times she needed him. Phoenix was incredibly great at hiding his true feelings from everyone with his happy go lucky aura. Flustered? Just laugh it off- Wanna melt because she called you pretty? Try your best not to melt and instead blame your blush from the heat of the sun.

If he knew all along, why didn't he do anything about it..? The answer's simple... He simply didn't think he was ever good enough for her.. He sometimes wished she'd feel that way to someone else because well.. He doesn't know what he did to deserve such a blessing. Cmon- Think about it. She's beautiful, kind, fun to hang around with and her vibe is just... She's too perfect to ever want someone as trivial as him.

He's decided wayyy long ago that Jett- Jett deserved nothing but the best. The way she'd turn and smile at him every time they were in the battlefield together.. The way she'd laugh at his awful jokes and the way she continuously hypes everyone up during battles... If he ever lived a second life, he'd want to be able to spend it... with her.

Throughout tough times she's had no one to lean into... He knew she secretly kept it all inside... All the pain she's felt... Especially since she lost you. She hasn't been the same. She looked lonely, even broken. Her smile... looked forced.

He'd sometimes wonder if he wasn't scared to show her what dark secrets he's hiding... Maybe he and her would be quite a match... But no. He can't make the mistake of having someone too close to him again... He doesn't need anyone else to sacrifice themselves for his own sake. The same mistake doesn't need to be repeated twice.

—————————————————————————

It wasn't at all hard to set your things up with Yoru around to help. Sure it was pretty suspicious to anyone around, but Yoru didn't seem to mind to show everyone just how close the two have gotten lately. With all the PDA he's been silently doing to you while helping you pack, It doesn't seem to be something he's afraid to show.

It's almost like he wants to show everyone. The cheek kisses, hand holding, the smirks, the jokes- May God help your tomato turned face. You thought that he'd be less excessive when the two of you aren't alone- but NO! It actually gets even worse- especially when Chamber's around. He gets really puppy-like for some reason. Slithering his arms around your waist, hugging you from the back while laying his head on your shoulders.. It's a good thing not everyone saw you though, only Fade and Chamber...

Chamber didn't seem to mind. Instead he sat down on a seat and eyed the both of you while crossing his legs, pretending to read an article while sipping a cup of coffee. He was interested to see what exactly was gonna happen between the two of you so he sort of just observed from afar.

Of course Yoru noticed, scowling at him, asking him "What?" Before staring him down, curling his lips as if to indicate that you were his.

Chamber just chuckled, adjusting his glasses, not minding Yoru's warning glare. He seemed to understand how protective Yoru feels towards you, so he didn't take it as an insult or anything.

You slowly get out of his grasps, talking his hands off of your waist before turning to face him. "We really need to talk about-"

Before you were able to explain how he needed to be more discreet, Viper comes in with a device in her hand. Behind her is Skye. She's been following Viper around, asking if it'd be possible to swap roommates while
Viper rechecked the item lists for the ship. Viper, of course, ignored her and pretended as if she wasn't even there, irritated with the same question she's already answered.

"It seems we have everything we need.. Now since everyone looks to be done unpacking, I'll be meeting you in front of the ship, bring your guns and a few extra bullets-" She said all while everyone listened.

"We're robbing back our radianite."

—————————————————————————

"I really don't think we should... There's gotta be a reason Y/N would suddenly betray us- There's gotta be.." Neon argued, still unable to swallow the fact that her friend would go rogue like that.

"Listen here. This. This is work. You're ordered to assassinate her. If you're not able to do that, then I'll get someone who will." Viper said, slamming paperwork on the table. "Let's all accept the fact that she's turned to their side. If you keep letting your feelings get in the way of our world's survival.. Then maybe it was wrong of us to recruit you."

"If you all want to end up like Yoru. So be it. Being rash won't help you in any way."

Everyone's face twisted into an uncomfortable look. Agents who were able to witness such a young child sacrifice himself to save a friend, turned their faces away. Phoenix silently clenched his jaw. Just mentioning his name made his stomach churn in guilt...

It was a long time ago but remembering how his friend's body never got back to Sage almost made him want to weep. A teenage Yoru who jumped in to receive a bullet meant for his friend... He was supposed to come back... He was supposed to be revived... But his device malfunctioned.

The bullet went straight through it, the small teleportation orb Sage made. It was in it's early developments so it wasn't really as effective and bulletproof as it is now but it still can't change the fact that Yoru's body was never again found after that. They've raided facilities in the other Earth before to find him to no avail... It was as if he disappeared completely.

Sometimes Phoenix wondered if he just took the bullet for himself... There would be no need to replace Agent 15. Maybe his old duo would still be here...

—————————————————————————

Author's note: ALRIGHT GUYS THIS- IS THE ENDING TO SEASON ONE-!!!! I'll be back in 3 weeks dwwww :3

And Uh yeah- I revealed something rlly big here TvT Two things Actually- I just hope ppl get it LMFAO

It's 5am and I'm gonna go sleep now- I'll prolly refine it tomorrow ^^ GOODNIGHT AND I LOVE U MWUAH!!