Chapter 2 - Pilot 2/2

We have been walking for hours and we're still not even halfway to the bunker. Octavia and Finn have had plenty of flirty moments. Clarke walks ahead of all of us, I'm a few paces behind her, then it's Finn and Octavia and Jasper and Monty. I have my hands in the pocket of my black jacket, a strand of my hair falls in my face and I grab the hair band I always have around my wrist and put my hair in a low ponytail. Finn grabs a flower and pins it behind Octavia's ear, pulling her hair behind her ear, Jasper chuckles

"Now, that, my friend, is game." Jasper says, directing to Monty.

"That, my friend, is poison sumac." Monty directs back to Jasper.

I smile as I continue to walk. I have studied poison sumac and other Earth herbs on the Ark in my free-time, Monty is playing with Octavia.

Octavia begins to panic, "What? It is?" she quickly tries to scratch it out of her hair.

"The flowers aren't poisonous. They're medicinal, calming, actually." Monty teases, Octavia hits him in the arm.

"His family grows all the pharmaceuticals on The Ark." Jasper explains.

I turn around to face them, continuing to walk backwards, "I should have been friends with you both. You guys were the ones arrested for doing drugs right?"

Monty and Jasper both nod.

"Hey, guys, would you try to keep up?" Clarke annoyingly yells.

I roll my eyes as I turn back around, walking forward again.

"Come on, Clarke. How do you block all this out?" Finn asks, running up to meet Clarke.

"Well, it's simple. I wonder, 'why haven't we seen any animals?' Maybe it's because there are none. Maybe we've already been exposed to enough radiation to kill us. Sure is pretty, though. Come on." Clarke says.

"Buzzkill!" I exclaim.

Octavia is more quiet with her response, "Someone should slip her some poison sumac."

Jasper snorts in response, Monty and I laughing.

Finn turns to the back of the group, "Since we know what Jasper and Monty were arrested for, Octavia? Emery?"

Octavia is the only one who knows why I was arrested, I was able to keep it secret for this long. I guess it's time I reveal it.

Octavia says, "I think we all know why I was arrested."

Jasper laughs, "No, that's why we asked. What is it?"

"Being born."

Monty looks over to me, "Emery?"

"I tried to kill a guard," I say, looking at the ground, "My mother, she verbally and physically assaulted me all my life. She also might have had something to do with my dad's death. I thought I was successful, turns out I was an inch off."

The group grows quiet, Octavia grabbing and squeezing my hand in comfort.

---

We had continued to hike further, the group stayed silent throughout. I probably scared the shit out of them, I didn't care much. Octavia had accepted me for who I was, that's all I needed.

Finn finally changes the subject, "Hey, you know what I'd like to know? Why send us down today after ninety seven years? What changed?"

Octavia spins around, "Who cares? I'm just glad they did. I woke up rotting in a cell, and now I'm spinning in a forest."

Monty pipes up, "Maybe they found something on a satellite, you know, like an old weather satellite or it wasn't a satellite."

"Good theory," I state.