Chapter 17 - Unity Day 1/2

The day is finally upon us, Unity Day. It's a big holiday back on the Ark, celebrating the Unity of the space stations 100 years ago. I've never been big about it because it's never really spoken to me before. I never had friends growing up until I got to the Skybox and met Octavia. Anyways, anyone in the Skybox hated it because it was made for equality and we weren't given equality.

I messily braid my hair into dutch braids, deciding to try something different. Growing up, I always had to have my hair down to hide bruises. When I got to the Skybox, Octavia taught me how to dutch braid, saying I looked pretty with them. I also really hate seeing my obvious greasy hair, even if everyone is in the same boat. I tie it with a rubber band, I found it on the dropship floor and cleaned it off. I exit my tent, Monty runs into me, almost startling me to death.

"Moonshine?" Monty asks, handing me a cup full.

"Thanks Monty," I say, taking the Moonshine.

He runs off, clearly already a little drunk. He runs over to Jasper, they're both making a new juice but for now can hand out Moonshine. I look at the setup we have for Unity Day. Raven moved the radio station out so that Jaha can broadcast his Unity Day speech. I place my Moonshine on a nearby table, I'm not one for drinking, especially Monty's Moonshine.

"1 Minute until the broadcast!" Someone shouts.

Everyone gathers around the setup, I go to the back by a wall. I'm not one for speeches. Bellamy walks over to me, holding a cup of Moonshine. I smile when he stands next to me, he grabs my hand. 

He leans in close and whispers, "I like the new look," 

"I needed a change," I say.

We both look over at the video camera and the camera blinks to life, showing Jaha on a podium.

"My friends, this is a historic Unity Day. Every year, we mark the moment our ancestors of the twelve stations joined to form the Ark, but this is the last time we do so while aboard her. Next year, on the ground." Jaha speaks.

People cheer in the background of the camera.

"Right. After we did all the work." Miller pipes up, "Someone shut him up."

"You shut up, Miller. No one's forcing you to watch." Raven spits back.

I silently chuckle.

"For ninety-seven years, we have eked out an existence, hoping that someday our descendants would return to Earth." Jaha continues.

Jaha keeps talking, I zone him out. Once again, not one for speeches. I look around camp, everyone is mostly watching, some getting bored. 

"Whoo!" Jasper shouts, "Yeah! Monty strikes again! Hey! Call this batch Unity Juice! Who's thirsty? Monty! There you go." He excites everyone and they all gather around with a cup.

"Hey." Monty says, stopping Jasper from passing it all out, "Save me some."

"To our sons and daughters on Earth listening to this message, we will see you soon. The first Exodus ship will launch in under sixty hours, carrying you the reinforcements that you need, so stay strong. Help is on the way." I listen to Jaha's words.

Miller's comment from earlier was correct, the only real work the Ark has done is send us down. We've survived and thrived so far, I'm not terribly worried if the grounders decide to attack over their friend. Jaha leaves the podium, going to enjoy Unity Day with the crowd. The pageant begins, a small girl begins telling the story of the Ark. No one is paying attention now.

"Hey," Bellamy says. "Why don't you have some fun?"

I softly smile, "I'm good Bell. One of us has to stay sober to tell the story."