Chapter 8 - Murphy's Law 2/2

We've been running for a while, trying to stay silent. Every 2 minutes you can hear Murphy call out for Charlotte. At this point, it's dark out.

"Are we sure they got somewhere safe?" I ask Bellamy.

"They're fine, Charlotte's fine." he responds.

"But we don't know that!" I say.

Bellamy stops in his tracks to look at me, I stop as well. Tears of frustration are starting to form in my eyes.

"Emery," Bellamy says, calm as the waters, "We will find Charlotte."

In a split second, I feel my cheeks being to turn red, luckily in the dark it isn't noticeable. I hadn't been paying attention to this side of Bellamy a lot, he hides it behind his confident facade. He looks calm but I can tell in his eyes, he's terrified of not being able to find Charlotte. He cares for her, just like me.

I nod with a soft smile, thankful for just that one sentence. He returns the smile and we continue on.

We both probably take one step before there is a rustling sound ahead. I look at Bellamy.

"It could be Murphy's group," I whisper, although it's incredibly unlikely as he was just screaming a few seconds back.

Bellamy passes me, knife in hand. He slowly creeps into a bush. I follow after him, careful in case it is Murphy. I hear Charlotte scream as Bellamy grabs her.

"Shh, they'll hear you," Bellamy whispers.

I hear Murphy in the distance, "Charlotte! You can't hide forever. Don't worry. We won't hurt you."

"Bellamy, he sounds close," I say.

I look over at them, Charlotte is struggling to be let free.

"Let me go!" she exclaims.

"I'm trying," Charlotte continues to fight Bellamy so he drops her and grabs her shoulders, "hey, hey. I'm trying to help you."

"I'm not your sister! Just stop helping me!" Charlotte says she then screams into the distance, "I'm over here!"

"Charlotte!" I say, shocked she's trying to get herself killed.

"Are you trying to get us all killed?" Bellamy asks.

"Just go, okay?" Charlotte looks over at me, "I'm the one they want."

"Okay, Charlotte, listen to me. I won't leave you." Bellamy says, absolute.

Charlotte looks at Bellamy, "Please Bellamy."

While Bellamy is distracted she breaks his grip and tries running away, screaming again, "Murphy! I'm over here!"

Bellamy picks her up and throws her over his shoulder, we start moving further into the woods. We keep running until we get to a small clearing, Bellamy sets Charlotte down as we realize that all that's ahead of us is a ravine.

"Damn it," Bellamy mumbles.

"There's got to be another way," I suggest.

Before I can think of another way, Murphy and his group emerge from the trees, all holding lit torches.

"Bellamy! You cannot fight all of us. Give her up." Murphy says in a cool tone.

"Maybe not, but I guarantee I'll take a few of you with me." Bellamy threatens.

Clarke and Finn also emerge from the trees.

"Murphy," I say, "Stop this! We can figure something out."

Murphy gives his torch to another member of his group, ignoring me entirely, he looks to Bellamy, "If you need a little incentive, I can give it to you."