Chapter 21 - The Calm

Ever since everyone got better from the virus, security is ten times what it's been. We know the grounders are ready to attack, also meaning we have to be ready. Bellamy has been training me on how to use a gun but I just can't get the hang of it, I'm too into my bow. We still haven't gotten any contact from the Ark since Unity Day, our theory, they ran out of air. Everyone is working now, either guarding or taking care of inside duties. I'm in the smokehouse with Octavia, Murphy, and Del. Bellamy and Clarke decided to let Murphy stay at camp, when I found out the news, I was angry but Bellamy gave me first dibs to kill him if anything goes south.

Del is adding some wood to the fire, "Let's get this party smoking!"

"You don't want the fire too big. So maybe just try to knock it down with some wet leaves." Octavia notes.

"You get that from your boyfriend, Grounder pounder?" Del smirks.

Octavia almost tries to fight him, I hold her back.

"She's right. A hot fire is not gonna preserve the meat as well." Murphy comments.

"Anyways," I say, "Don't want to start a fire."

"You can't take the heat, get out of the smokehouse. Should be kissing our asses for being allowed back in this camp. Just keep working." Del says.

I roll my eyes, "Del, stop acting like you're on top of the world. You've done nothing since we got to the ground besides sleep with girls and be terrible at shooting your gun." I fire back.

Del looks like he'll kill me, instead he adds another piece of wood to the fire. The fire instantly gets out of control, starting to quickly spread. The smoke gets too much and we all inhale it. As we run out, we're all coughing from the smoke.

People start splashing water on the smokehouse. Bellamy, Clarke, Raven, and Finn rush over.

"What the fuck Del," I yell, still coughing. "We warned you and you just had too!"

"Are you okay?" Bellamy asks Octavia.

Octavia nods as she coughs.

"This is all your fault! We told you it was too much wood." Murphy screams as he launches at Del.

He starts punching Del, Bellamy and Finn run over and pull Murphy off of him.

"Get the hell away from me." Del screams at Murphy.

"What the hell are we going to do?" Octavia says, "That was all our food."

I look at the smokehouse, there's nothing left over after that. Bellamy and Clarke drag me over to the dropship.

Clarke looks at me, "What the hell happened?"

"Don't get an attitude with me Clarke," I say, "Del is a big baby who had to prove he's better than everyone."

"Murphy says that Del kept feeding the fire, mostly because Octavia told him it was a bad idea." Bellamy adds on.

"And we believe Murphy?" Clarke asks.

"I do," Bellamy says.

"We have some wild onions and nuts in the dropship. It's only enough to last us maybe one or two weeks." Clarke notes, she looks at me again, "What's left at the smokehouse."

"Nothing," I comment, "Except Del's big ego."

"Then we have to hunt. Anyone we can spare goes out." Clarke suggests.

"With the whole Grounder army out there?" Bellamy asks.

"Look. We can't defend ourselves if we're starving." Clarke says.