15

It's my first Monday back at work, but it's also my first time out of the house since I've had cameras searching for me. The military base only feels safe because there isn't any press allowed inside. There is still obstacles within the grounds though. No face I pass ignores me. It is either a grateful smirk or a sour scowl. I was even called a slut by someone passing in the hall. Even as I stand by my father's side while he runs drills with them, I see almost all of their eyes on me.

It is a new group of recruits he is getting a feel for. They are lined up in a grid-like formation down the hill. My father and I stand at the top. He needs me here to record times and notes of things I see going wrong. Right now they get a break while he accesses a few things.

Him and I haven't had a personal conversation since I caught him drunk on the couch. I know he remembers parts of it, though I'm not sure which ones those exactly are.

"You're telling me all of these ones mistook their right for their left?" he asks.

I nod, "And the next page is the left for their right."

He scoffs at the notes in disbelief, "Jesus christ..."

As he reads through them some more, the men get a little louder. One of them loudly voices the words "such a fucking hoe". They meant for me to hear that. I glance over to see if I can catch who said it, but it is pointless. When I turn back to my father I see that he is looking for the culprit too...

"Quiet!" He yells. It actually made me jump.

They all follow that order within seconds. He's using his gift...

"Which one of you fucking dopes felt like that was appropriate?" he asks them all.

The swearing threw me off, although it didn't seem the bother the men. None of them even twitch an eye.

"If you know the man that said it, point to him," he orders with a vile grin.

And so they point. The man that receives all of the blame is a blond one in the middle.

"Send him forward."

The man is pushed around the crowd of soldiers until he finally stumbles his way to the front. He walks up the hill to stand in front of us. His formation is gone, and he has some sort of smug defense to his stance.

I guess my father let all of the minds below us go, because many are trying to gather themselves.

"A new recruit making remarks such as that is unheard of," my father says.

"Same as an Admiral with unbecoming offspring," he retorts, looking me up and down.

"So if I moved you to another division this behavior would stop?"

He nods.

"Very well, though it's too bad I'll be releasing you from service in a minute."

The man is visibly angered, but then he suddenly falls back into my father's mind control.

"Before you go, you should tell my daughter how you really feel..."

He faces me now. I know exactly what my father wants to happen here. My focus on this man isn't too intense that I have to change my look. Instead I keep a light smile as I wait for an answer, and boy it's an answer alright. From his pants emerges a noticeable tent, one he should have no idea as to why he has it.

"Oh my god, you freak!!" I yell in disgust.

Now the entire unit sees him. Some are equally as grossed out, and some are amused. The man runs off on his own because he's too embarrassed to stick around. I expect my father and I to share a laugh, but he keeps the act up.