16

"Do you think there's food? I'm starving," my brother asks.

The elevator is getting a lot closer, so I straighten up my long, silky red dress. Vito takes that as a hint to flatten his black dress shirt.

"I don't think they'd have a party without any."

He laughs, "fair point."

When the elevator opens, we are met with a dim living room full of people. A lot I recognize from work, but a few unfamiliar people must be some friends or family. They all have a bunch of finger foods and alcohol in their hands. The music is of course Ramiro's taste: lots of hip-hop and upbeat R&B. I can almost bet there will be some Spanish songs later on. Their kitchen is also full, and from the looks of it there isn't an quiet place in the entire penthouse.

Vito and I grab some snacks and talk to a few co-workers. I can't run off to find Ramiro or Oren because that will let him know we are closer than we should be. So I'm stuck by his side until talking to them becomes less risky, all while getting stared down by just about every person in here.

It is a little while before I finally see the two of them. Ramiro's suit is all black, and he has on a pendant shaped like a sword. His earrings are silver just like it, along with the rings he has on his right hand. Oren is just in a casual suit like I expected.

I'm only graced with seeing them because they grab the entire party's attention for a toast by tapping on a glass. I can tell how funny he found that.

"Thank you all for coming!! Didn't know I had so many friends until I put them all in a room to praise me!"

That gets a good laugh out of everyone.

"We all know that a third Galactic war will be here soon, so my advice to you is to make memories like these while you can. Don't laze around daydreaming, because I promise you that your wishes aren't that far off."

He actually moved me with that...

"I used to daydream of a better society. One that has a fair leader. No more oppressive lunatics, and no more controlling assholes. While I didn't act on this one my own, I didn't know just how close that fantasy really was."

He looks at me.

"I don't know how she did it, and frankly, I don't want to," he chuckles, "All I know is that she gave me one of the best birthday presents I could've asked for. I don't care what your politics are, but I can bet that present is one for this entire crowd as well. So thank you, Adira, for doing us all, and the country some good," he smiles.

They start to cheer... not for the wonderful speech or the birthday boy, but for me. Everyone is applauding me. The world that I thought would exile me for an action they can't get behind actually accepts me. Maybe not for my methods but the eventual result. I'm sure so many people here think I'm a seductress, but they're fine with it. Maybe someone who wasn't fine with it has had their perspective changed just by me... I can't even fathom that as the cheers keep coming. Vito wraps an arm around my shoulders to finally bring my mind back into this crowd. My tears are real, and so is my smile.

"To daydreams and new memories!!" Ramiro yells.

Everyone celebrates that now with a drink. Ramiro quickly comes over my way.

"W-why did you-"

"Because it's true dumbass. You helped a lot more people than you realize."

He looks a little concerned as he wipes away the water on me cheek.

"Well don't ruin your makeup over it..."

I laugh a little now that I've calmed down. He always knows how to cheer me up.