18

I've heard a lot of things in my life, yet none of them have terrified me more than the single request my sister came to me with this morning. "Can we go see Betty?" she asked, in the sweetest tone. She knew exactly what she was putting me up to as well, so she knew she had to add a little sugar into the wish. It made my heart leap out of my damn chest, but I couldn't say no. I gave her my word and I never intend to go back on it.

When I messaged Jett he was completely fine with it. I asked where, and of course he said his own house. I understand why we can't go out, though I'd rather risk getting seen by the paparazzi than running into his father. However, it's a large home with a lot of places to hide. Everything should be alright...

We put on some laid back clothing to lower the chance of recognition, and we took the hyperloop so my car wasn't recognized. I think it all paid off, because I didn't spot any cameras. Jett let us in the door himself, and he lead us right out to the secluded backyard. I was so distracted trying to pull the trip off that I completely forgot how substantial being in the same place as Jett is. Not only him, but his father.

Iris is off on the other side of the yard playing fetch, so Jett and I are able to speak freely.

"Is he here?" I ask, staring at the pool we stand in front of.

"I think so. His car's in the garage. I haven't been keeping track of him lately though..."

That gives me chills. I know he sees that I'm uncomfortable too.

"You really don't have the right to be scared of him," he states.

I finally take my eyes off the pool, staggered, "What?"

"You attacked him. He doesn't win against you, not in any scenario."

I'm glad we're out in the sunlight. If we weren't, Iris would see the lights dimming around us as we argue.

"That's not true," I say quietly as I look back at the water, trying to keep myself entertained with the light's ripples in it.

"Unless something else happened that I don't know about?"

I didn't want to tell him, but he deserves to know. I nod before I say anything because I need to build the courage to relive it. I still don't want to look at him, so I squat down to touch the water. The coolness of it actually calms me.

"That night we had to stay here, I was outside before I came in and we-" that wasn't a smart sentence to continue, so I don't, "I was sitting right there by the pool watching the stars, then he came outside. We talked about them before I told him my usual spot to watch them— which was stupid..."

I sit down because my legs were getting tired. My feet are easy to get in the pool since I'm only in sandals. He sits down criss-cross text to me. I'm not looking at him yet, but I can sense his eyes on me.

"He confronted me there a couple weeks ago... I guess it wasn't a confrontation, but more of a scare tactic. When he finally showed himself through the darkness, he threatened me. I was scared but it was nothing compared to the fear I got when he grabbed me."

I look at him, curious if he's reacting. He's definitely a little sympathetic.

"The next threat was rape, something he would've done right there in the park. My dad happened to come check on me, so he saw what was happening and stepped in. I guess I would've gotten out of it without him, but fuck I was terrified. Then he started to harm my dad, so I gave him a command that would keep him home the rest of the night."

I look away from him again to let him know I'm done talking.

"What was the command?"

I repeat the exact command to him, down to the very tone. That picture of his father will probably haunt him for years.