chapter two

The Malfoys looked as pale and strict as Ben remembered from the last time he had seen them. When he, Audrey, Alycia and the possible Steve joined them, they were staring at Ebony as though she was some kind of inferior creature.

"Well, well... Look who we have here," said Mr. Malfoy, with a cold smile. "It's truly been a long time since we last saw each other."

"It feels like an eternity of pure horror and pain..." he commented.

Mr. Malfoy either didn't get the sarcasm, or decided to pretend he hadn't. His wife, Narcissa Malfoy, took a step forward.

"I believe Kath has already told you about our decision..."

He nodded. "She has."

"In that case, I really wish you understand that this is the last opportunity we are willing to give, Benjamin," she explained. Ben took a sharp breath at the mention of his full name. "We are already being too considerate to your parents by allowing you to be friends with our Draco after what happened."

Ben swallowed hard. "Alright. Where is he?"

"Already on the train, with Vincent and Gregory," answered Mr. Malfoy. "He wanted to assure he would find a good seat."

"They are waiting for you," added Mrs. Malfoy.

"You shouldn't make him wait, then, Ben," said Ebony kindly.

Mr. Malfoy's eyes widened. "Ben? What makes you think you can call him by a nickname?"

"I prefer Ben over Benjamin," he rushed to say.

"She should not even call you by your first name, she is only a maid!"

For a spare second, there was a glow on Ebony's eyes. A fierce one, like a small but dangerous flame that had been set free for an instant. But it was gone as quickly as it appeared, and it faded into an embarrassed, scared look.

Ben was about to jump to defend her again, when Audrey grabbed his arm. "Let's go to the train."

And, before he could say anything, he was being dragged away. He barely managed to grab hold of his trunk, and to shout a rushed "Goodbye!" to Alycia and Ebony.

Audrey let go of him when both them and Steve were deep into the crowd. He glared at his sister, very red in the face. "I wanted to say something to Alycia!"

"Too bad," she hissed. "Send her a letter."

"It's not the same!" he complained. "I wanted to give her something, and to tell her to talk to Grandma about her stutter. It's been getting much worse, and I'm very worried!"

Steve gave him a pitiful look. "There's still time, Audrey. The train won't leave. I can carry his stuff."

Audrey's frown softened, and she turned to her brother. "Alright, go ahead. But be quick."

"Thank you!" he beamed, and ran back through the crowd to find Ebony and Alycia. It wasn't too hard, because he could see Lucius Malfoy's platinum hair from over everyone else's heads. "Hello!"

As soon as he arrived, they all frowned at him. Ebony shot a worried look at the engine. "What's wrong?"

"I forgot to give Alycia something."

Ebony nodded in understanding, and Ben bent down to face his sister, a couple of steps away from the others. He searched in his pocket, and took out a small pin. It showed a golden dragon, whose wings were spread out to the sides. In its jaws, a rather tiny round piece of quartz glowed in a bright white colour. He extended his arm, and placed it carefully on Alycia's hand.